.22 conversion kit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > SIG Sauer Forum > .22 conversion kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default .22 conversion kit

Anyone ever used the .22 conversion kit on a 226? I am thinking of getting rid of my walther p22 and using it towards the kit. Curious as to if it is very ammo sensitive like my Walther (CCI Mini mag only). I was going to get a ruger mark 3 and then saw that they make a .22 conversion for the 226. I really like the idea of training and utilizing my SHTF gun for pennies on the dollar with .22. I would get the one with the threaded barrel so I could use a suppressor later on. Any thoughts pro or con? It is about $300.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

For $300 might as well get a whole brand new Ruger SR22. Just saying..

Old 11-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

+1 with okdonk.

I wouldn't want to muck up my SIG P229 frame with all that dirty .22 ammo. I'd just as soon buy a dedicated .22 like that ruger mark II or III. My sister has a sr22 and a really nice SIG 1911 in .22 and we just love to shoot that 1911-22. It's made by GSG for SIG.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 11-09-2012, 10:33 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

To me.. i'd rather have 2 guns instead of 1.5. Some people love to have the same trigger feel thats why conversion kits are made. Which makes senses too.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:07 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I personally like the idea of the same grip/trigger/holster combination that you get with the conversion kit. Practice makes perfect but cheap practice is even better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cheap bas***d. I'm a dad with a second one on the way, so I can't burn as many centerfire rounds as I'de like to.

I shoot a few hundred rounds of .22 and then a box or two of .45.

I've been doing this kind of practice for a while with my GSG .22/Springfield Armory .45 for a while and it works for this dad on a budget.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredmetal
I personally like the idea of the same grip/trigger/holster combination that you get with the conversion kit. Practice makes perfect but cheap practice is even better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a cheap bas***d. I'm a dad with a second one on the way, so I can't burn as many centerfire rounds as I'de like to.

I shoot a few hundred rounds of .22 and then a box or two of .45.

I've been doing this kind of practice for a while with my GSG .22/Springfield Armory .45 for a while and it works for this dad on a budget.
The GSG is a conversion kit? I ask because I know they make the pistol for SIG.

I just feel that while the trigger is the same it still is a wicked difference between the calibers that IMO can be unnerving at times. I get it from a financial standpoint, but if I were to rely on any gun I own to defend myself with, if rather not muck it up with that dirty ole .22 lr. ammo. I prefer to have a gun dedicated to .22, that I would only use for range purposes. If its the same weapon system as my sd gun all the better.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 11-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe

The GSG is a conversion kit? I ask because I know they make the pistol for SIG.

I just feel that while the trigger is the same it still is a wicked difference between the calibers that IMO can be unnerving at times. I get it from a financial standpoint, but if I were to rely on any gun I own to defend myself with, if rather not muck it up with that dirty ole .22 lr. ammo. I prefer to have a gun dedicated to .22, that I would only use for range purposes. If its the same weapon system as my sd gun all the better.
My GSG is a full pistol not a conversion kit. It does get quite dirty after a few hundred rounds and like everybody else, I don't always clean it right after a range session, so I get your concerns about mucking up your SD pistol.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:53 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

My 226 was built as a .22, I have conversions for 9 mm., and S&W .40. While I am sure that it would not be for everyone,I realy like the idea and the build quality.
I can see why some would be concerned about the pistol beening dirty after a range session,I generally clean my guns immediatly and if I cannot I have a dozen other handguns that can fill in.
I think that you would be impressed with the conversion.
TGR

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmelPaneristi
Anyone ever used the .22 conversion kit on a 226? I am thinking of getting rid of my walther p22 and using it towards the kit. Curious as to if it is very ammo sensitive like my Walther (CCI Mini mag only). I was going to get a ruger mark 3 and then saw that they make a .22 conversion for the 226. I really like the idea of training and utilizing my SHTF gun for pennies on the dollar with .22. I would get the one with the threaded barrel so I could use a suppressor later on. Any thoughts pro or con? It is about $300.
Finally got a chance to shoot my .22lr conversion kit on my 226 MK25 and couldn't be more frustrated. Shot 50 rounds of federal with an FTF on every round. It appeared that the slide was not really sliding freely and almost getting caught. Took it apart and the slide seemed to be moving a little better. Used CCI mini mags and worked much better, still not 100% though. Any thoughts? Is there a "break in" period?

Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5694 Times on 3218 Posts
Likes Given: 5090

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
For $300 might as well get a whole brand new Ruger SR22. Just saying..
But then he'd have a Ruger and not a SIG!

Winston Churchill