Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/)
-   -   where to put a pistol safe (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/where-put-pistol-safe-95719/)

Crazycastor 08-20-2013 02:55 AM

where to put a pistol safe

I just bought a pistol safe and having a hard time figuring out where to put it and what to bolt it down to. I want it close to the bed. Do I bolt it to the wall or the night stand. Its to big to go under the bed and inside a drawer. Anyone else have this same problem?

KG7IL 08-20-2013 03:29 AM

Since mine leaves my holster at bed time and joins me in slumber, I don't need a safe convenient to the bed.

Wall is a good bet. Unlock it at night, lock it in the morning if you don't carry.

JW357 08-20-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazycastor
I just bought a pistol safe and having a hard time figuring out where to put it and what to bolt it down to. I want it close to the bed. Do I bolt it to the wall or the night stand. Its to big to go under the bed and inside a drawer. Anyone else have this same problem?

Depends on the type of safe you bought. Mine just sits on my nightstand.

KG7IL 08-20-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1340678)
Depends on the type of safe you bought. Mine just sits on my nightstand.

This method works great for protecting children.
For this, it needn't be nailed down.

Missouribound 08-20-2013 04:18 AM

My master bath, in the bedroom. It's bolted down under the sink cabinet, out of sight. My .357 sleeps there. But my Bodyguard sleeps on the window sill....3 feet from my bed.

Crazycastor 08-20-2013 04:22 AM

Didn't even think about unlocking it at night and locking it in the morning. Good looking out. I attached it to the side of my night stand. Maybe not the besy place but I have a towel like thing already on my night atand so I figured I would get a bigger one and let it drape over the safe to keep it out of prying eyes. My wife said to bolt the night stand to the wall. I said naw. Just hope she isn't right. Hate to have to replace a gun and a nitestand.

Crazycastor 08-20-2013 04:27 AM

The wife and I have been practicing opening it up in the dark. Wished the buttons didn't make noises but I figure my dog will be making more noise then the buttons. So if they hear the dog and the buttons being pushed they should know whats coming next. Right?

JW357 08-20-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazycastor
The wife and I have been practicing opening it up in the dark. Wished the buttons didn't make noises but I figure my dog will be making more noise then the buttons. So if they hear the dog and the buttons being pushed they should know whats coming next. Right?

You can disable the beeping sounds on some models. Check the owners manual.

KG7IL 08-26-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazycastor (Post 1340709)
Didn't even think about unlocking it at night and locking it in the morning.

And no beeping sounds if you need it in the middle of the night.

Bigcountry02 09-02-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouribound (Post 1340704)
My master bath, in the bedroom. It's bolted down under the sink cabinet, out of sight.

Make sure you have some form of dehumidifier gel or what fits in the safe to fit the humidity factor. The safe being positioned in the bathroom, with humidity from the shower can effect over time.