Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/)
-   -   What are the best dehumidifiers to put in a gun safe? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/what-best-dehumidifiers-put-gun-safe-94230/)

Pbmaster2k89 07-21-2013 11:59 PM

What are the best dehumidifiers to put in a gun safe?
 
By best i mean what dehumidifiers really suck out the humidity without making you go broke? The spot i have my safe isnt very humid and i already have a larger dehumidifier in the room with about 40% humidity on average, but i want it as dry as i can get it. Thanks in advance

mahall 07-22-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbmaster2k89
By best i mean what dehumidifiers really suck out the humidity without making you go broke? The spot i have my safe isnt very humid and i already have a larger dehumidifier in the room with about 40% humidity on average, but i want it as dry as i can get it. Thanks in advance

I have a small handgun safe!! I use a couple of dry packs but you probably are looking for something better!! In my humbled opinion 40% is low enough to keep your guns from rusting!! Keep them clean and oiled and it really doesn't matter how damp the air is!

Pbmaster2k89 07-22-2013 12:18 AM

Yea i know, im just picky. If i can bring it down more by adding one feature to the safe id be happier

clr8ter 07-22-2013 12:28 AM

As far as I'm aware, you have 2 choices; desiccant packs, and plug in dehumidifiers. The packs can be reused by heating in the oven, and the plug in ones will always be using electricity. Actually, don't they have a product now that emits a rust inhibiting vapor? So, maybe 3 choices. I have gone for the desiccant packs.
I'd also be very happy about having only 40% humidity. Is that year-round?

mahall 07-22-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbmaster2k89
Yea i know, im just picky. If i can bring it down more by adding one feature to the safe id be happier

Enjoy!! Your guns will most likely outlive you, and you can get the air to dry for your own health!! Mainly skin issues and ironically 40% is that threshold!! If your Hell bent on keeping your guns dryer, I would put a little dehumidifier inside the safe!! I wouldn't mess with going any lower than 40 outside the safe, the air that you breath!!

clr8ter 07-22-2013 12:45 AM

I think that's what he wants, something for inside the safe, hence the thread title. In the winter, when the humidity drops, my hands get very sore, and they crack real easy. VERY painful, and very hard to heal. One of the best things I've found for that is Chapstik. Just out of curiosity, what is the average humidity % in places like Arizona, for instance? Here in NH, we run from maybe 30-40% in the winter, to 80%+ in the summer.

jigs-n-fixture 07-22-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter
I think that's what he wants, something for inside the safe, hence the thread title. In the winter, when the humidity drops, my hands get very sore, and they crack real easy. VERY painful, and very hard to heal. One of the best things I've found for that is Chapstik. Just out of curiosity, what is the average humidity % in places like Arizona, for instance? Here in NH, we run from maybe 30-40% in the winter, to 80%+ in the summer.

http://www.eldoradocountyweather.com/climate/US%20Climate%20Maps/images/Lower%2048%20States/Other%20Elements/Mean%20Relative%20Humidity/Mean%20Relative%20Humidity%20(Annual).png

MisterMcCool 07-22-2013 01:45 AM

If it has any airflow, you could just install a lamp cord with a 60 watt light bulb in the cabinet. It would cost about five dollars and take a few minutes of work with a drill and hole saw.

Pbmaster2k89 07-22-2013 02:04 AM

No drilling, and yes i want something for inside the safe, generally i can keep the humidity in the safe at 40%-45% in the summer and little lower in the winter.

Axxe55 07-22-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbmaster2k89 (Post 1311274)
No drilling, and yes i want something for inside the safe, generally i can keep the humidity in the safe at 40%-45% in the summer and little lower in the winter.

check this out from MidwayUSA. and it's reusable too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/183876/hyskore-gun-vault-silica-gel-desiccant-dehumidifier-1-liter-can


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.