Show off your safe/gun room - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Show off your safe/gun room

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Safe doors

I looked at several doors before I had mine built and the only problem was all I could find opened out. Because I planned on using my vault as a safe room in case of a tornado I wanted one that opened in so if I was unlucky enough for the house to get destroyed I wanted the door to not be blocked by rubble. With the door opening the way it does I can at least get it open and work on digging my way out. And of course the door should have some means of unlocking it from the inside. I also keep an old cell phone in there that I can use to call 911 as long as I can get a signal. Its still a work in progress. As they say, just because your paranoid doesn't mean their not really out to get you.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 01-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #52

Liked 30 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Browning makes some safe doors. They have one I have bin looking into. It looks like a regular door. Has a wireless pad that can be hidden up to 7 feet away.
The Browning door is very nice but at over 4K I doubt they sell many

Old 01-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #53

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I only have one gun-
My wife keeps it safe--

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 01-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #54

Liked 1043 Times on 695 Posts
Likes Given: 682

OH MY LORD!!! Nice, Ummmmm, gun....Uhhhh....what?

Old 01-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #55

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
OH MY LORD!!! Nice, Ummmmm, gun....Uhhhh....what?
Yup---38 SPECIALS

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #56

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946
I lived in a double wide for years and always wondered what I would do if a tornado was in the area. Stick my head between my legs and kiss my ass good bye? So when I decided to build a real house I wanted a vault/safe room so I had them pour one 10' x 10' in the end of the basement under ground. I found someone in the area that made safe rooms and doors. The gray heavy duty cabinet in the pic used to be my gun safe. Now its my ammo locker. The dehumidifer keeps the humidity at around 20% and the heater keeps the temp around 75 degrees. Some where around $4500 total invested. Well worth it for the piece of mind. If I need to use it as a safe room I can lock the door from the inside and then all I have to do is open a hatch and pull a pin to pull the bolts back to get out. Also the door opens to the inside so if theres a tornado, rubble can't keep me from opening the door. That may have been more information than anyone wanted.
I plan on doing something like this in the future. Is that room fire proof??

Old 01-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #57

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You don't always have to use a vault door to secure your room. Mine does have a lock but the main security is it's concealment. Unless you know there's a door behind the book cases you would even know to look for the keypad to release the maglock.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default concealment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhc View Post
You don't always have to use a vault door to secure your room. Mine does have a lock but the main security is it's concealment. Unless you know there's a door behind the book cases you would even know to look for the keypad to release the maglock.
I couldn't do that cause its pretty clear there is a room over there in the corner. I did think about having someone put a regular house door outside the vault door so it would just look like a storage room. I have a friend that when he had his house remodeled had a storage area large enough to hold his collection built into the wall of one of his bathrooms and had a latch put on the door that releases when you push the door in and release it.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 01-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #59

Liked 65 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post

I couldn't do that cause its pretty clear there is a room over there in the corner. I did think about having someone put a regular house door outside the vault door so it would just look like a storage room. I have a friend that when he had his house remodeled had a storage area large enough to hold his collection built into the wall of one of his bathrooms and had a latch put on the door that releases when you push the door in and release it.
It may only seem pretty clear to you. Criminals are not alwaysv the brightest in the bunch, plus if they are in a hurry to get in and out they may not pay attention or be able to find the door. If you have an alarm going off on top of that it may stress them into not thinking straight even more. Here is a link to hardware and ideas. http://www.cshardware.com/hidden-door/invisidoor.html

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ كفري

Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Thanks for the link

Thanks, I'll look into it and maybe get some ideas.