Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > School locker safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7248

Default School locker safe

Just went up to Clarence NY to pick up a group of 5 old school lockers for a project that I have had on my mind for the last couple months. Back when I was in high school, I picked up 3 used school ockers from the bus garage at a neighboring school which had just upgraded to new lockers in their halls. Upon getting them home I built a little 5 gun cabinet that can be bolted to the wall or floor, and could be double locked if need be. When I outgrew it about 5 years later I still used it to store Ammo, swords, and the occasional gunsmithing project awaiting it's owners return. I gave it to the neighbor's daughter about 10 years ago when my wife bought me a new safe for Christmas, and she still has it and uses it to store her duty gear while not at the jail. Defintely not going to ask for it back, it has a good home.

My daughter is now 16, and she and her friends will sometimes go hunting or up to the trap range after school, and it is getting to be a PITA to have to find her mom or me to unlock our safe to get her shotgun out so she can go. It's time she had her own.

The plan is to separate all 5 of the lockers, and make 2 two 2 door units and a single door unit for my uncle who lives downstairs that just got into hunting and has no cabinet. One of the 2 door units will go to her room, the other will be used by my wife and myself to house stocks, barrels, and other extra parts along with a few of our C&R rifles. Mostly the ones that are hard to find ammo for or are in need of repair.

Sorry about the lack of pics so far, but it was dark when I got home. Will snap some pics during teardown and the build for others to enjoy. Should be a fun day tomorrow.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19605 Times on 11128 Posts
Likes Given: 49359

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Just went up to Clarence NY to pick up a group of 5 old school lockers for a project that I have had on my mind for the last couple months. Back when I was in high school, I picked up 3 used school ockers from the bus garage at a neighboring school which had just upgraded to new lockers in their halls. Upon getting them home I built a little 5 gun cabinet that can be bolted to the wall or floor, and could be double locked if need be. When I outgrew it about 5 years later I still used it to store Ammo, swords, and the occasional gunsmithing project awaiting it's owners return. I gave it to the neighbor's daughter about 10 years ago when my wife bought me a new safe for Christmas, and she still has it and uses it to store her duty gear while not at the jail. Defintely not going to ask for it back, it has a good home.

My daughter is now 16, and she and her friends will sometimes go hunting or up to the trap range after school, and it is getting to be a PITA to have to find her mom or me to unlock our safe to get her shotgun out so she can go. It's time she had her own.

The plan is to separate all 5 of the lockers, and make 2 two 2 door units and a single door unit for my uncle who lives downstairs that just got into hunting and has no cabinet. One of the 2 door units will go to her room, the other will be used by my wife and myself to house stocks, barrels, and other extra parts along with a few of our C&R rifles. Mostly the ones that are hard to find ammo for or are in need of repair.

Sorry about the lack of pics so far, but it was dark when I got home. Will snap some pics during teardown and the build for others to enjoy. Should be a fun day tomorrow.
sounds like an interesting project. looking forward to seeing pictures.
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 11-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
sounds like an interesting project. looking forward to seeing pictures.
I had a lot of fun building the first one, and after 20 years it is still going strong. If nothing else, it will keep me out of trouble for a day or two. I'm actually building it under orders from the wife. Between constantly getting the long guns out for the kid, and the fact that I just picked up to Mosin stocks as winter projects, I need to make room. Giving her a cabinet of her own will also mean I can buy a few new toys and have room to put them in the safe. It's a win win for me.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 11-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19605 Times on 11128 Posts
Likes Given: 49359

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
I had a lot of fun building the first one, and after 20 years it is still going strong. If nothing else, it will keep me out of trouble for a day or two. I'm actually building it under orders from the wife. Between constantly getting the long guns out for the kid, and the fact that I just picked up to Mosin stocks as winter projects, I need to make room. Giving her a cabinet of her own will also mean I can buy a few new toys and have room to put them in the safe. It's a win win for me.
well i'm subbed for the project!
People Like This 
Old 11-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Some pictures of where I started, up to the point that I called it a night. We will be adding Some padded rails to the cabinets at some point in the future, but for now the end result we desired has been achieved. I will no longer need to remove half of the long guns from a cabinet to get one out, and the daughter won't have to chase one of us down when she needs to get one of her guns out. As a bonus, I made a single locker for my adopted uncle who just got into hunting, and needed a safe place to keep his.

I will be updating the thread as work continues. Enjoy the pics.

The first ones are what I started with, a block of 5 lockers, and the single for my uncle Will.

100_0837.jpg   100_0838.jpg   100_0839.jpg   100_0840.jpg   100_0841.jpg  

100_0842.jpg   100_0843.jpg  

Si vis pacem parabellum.

People Like This 
Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The last 2 in the previous post were the completed shell for my daughter's, and one of the pieces of the other 2 that became the one for my wife and me. And yes, that is 550 cord acting as part of the suspension for the shelves. When you take out the center wall on a pair of deep lockers, you lose part of the shelf support that the canter wall provides. A framework is planned when we finish off the insides of both units.

100_0844.jpg   100_0845.jpg   100_0846.jpg   100_0847.jpg   100_0848.jpg  

Si vis pacem parabellum.

Last edited by kfox75; 11-21-2013 at 04:17 AM.
People Like This 
Old 11-21-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Finished exterior of mine and my wife's unit, and locker in use. The daughter is going to repaint hers to match her room when we move. We will leave ours looking like thet do. We are kind of partial to the teal color.

On the bright side of things, I finally have a place to put my FTF decal. I wonder if the admin could order and offer them in colors other than white? It blends to well with the color of my truck.......

100_0849.jpg   100_0850.jpg   100_0852.jpg   100_0854.jpg   100_0855.jpg  

100_0856.jpg   100_0858.jpg   100_0859.jpg   100_0860.jpg   100_0863.jpg  

Si vis pacem parabellum.

People Like This