Safe vs Locker vs Case - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Safe vs Locker vs Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Good point, Axxe. Left at high enough temperatures long enough the contents of a fire safe will burn. Get it hotter than the rating and your stuff will burn sooner. Personally, I keep my important papers in a fire resistant safe inside my fire resistant gun safe. If nothing else it will make it easier to attempt recovery. Can't you hear it now? See that big lump over there? There should be a smaller lump inside. That's where what's left of my papers might be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
That's a really good idea.^^^ Those small document containers are cheap, too.
actually if the papers are important enough, a safety deposit box at the bank would be a better choice IMO. if the bank catches on fire, your papers have a much better chance in surviving than in your home if it catches on fire.

in the event of a total loss house fire, especially in rural area, which would be highly likely if a fire broke out while we were not home, there is highly unlikely the volunteer fire department will be able to arrive in time to save the house and anything in a safe are probably going to be lost anyways. so i use a bank safety deposit box to store really important papers and items.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #32

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 732

Also a good point. Though, to a certain degree, anything in a bank, they control, too.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Also a good point. Though, to a certain degree, anything in a bank, they control, too.
they do control the times you're allowed to view your safety deposit box. not like it being in your own safe and wanting to look at something in there at midnight. also, not like you can store your guns at the bank!

everything has it's pros ad cons, even my suggestion of a bank's safety deposit box. but for certain types of paperwork, precious family heirlooms and similiar items, i think the safety deposit box is a good option.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:53 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
they do control the times you're allowed to view your safety deposit box. not like it being in your own safe and wanting to look at something in there at midnight. also, not like you can store your guns at the bank!

everything has it's pros ad cons, even my suggestion of a bank's safety deposit box. but for certain types of paperwork, precious family heirlooms and similiar items, i think the safety deposit box is a good option.
I do have heirloom jewelry, a copy of my birth certificate, my passport, and my homeowners policy at the bank. Everything else is here. To burn out a fire safe inside a fire resistant gun safe would take a lot more heat than you would get in most house fires.

A lot of that decision is also based on the house. Single story, no natural gas service, and sitting on a concrete slab. Can the house burn down? Of course it can, but there is nothing to keep it hot enough long enough. If I lived in a highrise I would certainly do things differently.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I do have heirloom jewelry, a copy of my birth certificate, my passport, and my homeowners policy at the bank. Everything else is here. To burn out a fire safe inside a fire resistant gun safe would take a lot more heat than you would get in most house fires.

A lot of that decision is also based on the house. Single story, no natural gas service, and sitting on a concrete slab. Can the house burn down? Of course it can, but there is nothing to keep it hot enough long enough. If I lived in a highrise I would certainly do things differently.
i agree with you. every house is different and the construction and the type of house will determine if it being a total loss fire will be hot enough to ruin the contents of a safe within a safe.

my main objective was that some might have the false sense of security in that buying a fire proof safe is going to keep their guns intact if there is a house fire. depends on the amount of fire, where the fire is in relation to the location of the safe and how quickly the fire department responds and starts putting the fire out. lots of factors at play here.