Safe vs Locker vs Case - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes >

Safe vs Locker vs Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 02:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 164 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Safe vs Locker vs Case

I bought an inexpensive coded safe from Walmart for around 100 bucks! Great for handguns and ammo! I could probably fit 5 or 6 handguns, depending on how much ammo I have! Like a stated before! Rust hasn't been an issue, with periodical cleaning/wipe down. If your so concerned about moisture/rust use dry packs, sufficient for small safes! And no I've never heard of getting the air to dry for guns! But extremely dry air can be unforgiving to the human body/skin! With the finish on today's guns, with reasonable care/cleaning you shouldn't have trouble with rust! As your gun library increases, than you can go on to bigger and better stuff! So many people over spend with there first purchases on gun care/storage, thinking the gun is going to rust in two in a few months! Not true! Good luck and welcome to the awesome world of Guns! Your life will never be quite the same!!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Last edited by mahall; 02-09-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 02-09-2014, 03:16 PM   #22

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
Good luck and welcome to the awesome world of Guns! Your life will never be quite the same!!
I hope not!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:57 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall View Post
I bought an inexpensive coded safe from Walmart for around 100 bucks! Great for handguns and ammo! I could probably fit 5 or 6 handguns, depending on how much ammo I have! Like a stated before! Rust hasn't been an issue, with periodical cleaning/wipe down. If your so concerned about moisture/rust use dry packs, sufficient for small safes! And no I've never heard of getting the air to dry for guns! But extremely dry air can be unforgiving to the human body/skin! With the finish on today's guns, with reasonable care/cleaning you shouldn't have trouble with rust! As your gun library increases, than you can go on to bigger and better stuff! So many people over spend with there first purchases on gun care/storage, thinking the gun is going to rust in two in a few months! Not true! Good luck and welcome to the awesome world of Guns! Your life will never be quite the same!!

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk
too dry of air will cause wood to dry out and possibly crack, but it's really hard to get air that dry under most conditions. they would never rust though even if it were to happen.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 02-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Honestly, I'd just get the safe. A locking cabinet will not really stop a criminal at all. It might deter one looking to get in and out really quickly, but if they are determine, they could get it opened without too much hassle. They're fine for keeping small children away from you guns though.

As already said, a case might cause your gun to rust. All they are really good for is short term storage/transportation.

With a safe, you get fire protection, and something that will stop the average criminal. They'd have to come prepared to get into a decent one.

I recently got a Cannon safe from tractor supply. It holds 24 long guns, plus has some room left over for ammo and handguns. They come with extra shelves, so you can customize it. It was on sale, so it ended up being a bit over $400 with taxes.

Now, you can find a few smaller safes for a bit less, but if you plan on getting into guns and buying more, you might want to just get a decent sized safe. Just make sure to bolt whatever you get to the ground. Makes it less likely to be stolen, and keeps it from falling over.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

If you have to expose your firearm ownership to public view when you put them in the car for range trips I would definitely go with the safe. If you can put them in the car in a closed garage that may give you other choices. The safe is obviously the best solution either way. It is very easy for a thief to move firearms, and for their size they are a high dollar item.

If your goal is to keep them out of the hands of kids I would check my local statutes, codes, and ordinances to see what they require. Checking state statutes is not enough. Many municipalities have a bad habit of enhancing statutes in order to raise funds for local projects. You need to check from the state level all the way down to the local dog catcher.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 02-22-2014, 04:51 AM   #26

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Fireproof safes allow you to store more than guns. It is very easy to install pouches for important documents and family pictures. People that take pain medications find a safe to be quite handy. For the amount of security one gets for the dollar a fireproof gun safe is good investment.

Old 02-22-2014, 11:51 AM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i think the term should actually be "Fire Resistant" not "Ftre Proof". safes are listed at a certain temperature for a certain length of burn time. nothing is fire proof. if the temperature is hight enough for long enough anything will burn, even guns, and other items in a fire proof safe.

the higher the temperature rating and the longer the duration a safe can wistand fire usually translates in higher cost safes. most safes that state they are fire proof should list those the ratings in their specs.

in the event of a total loss house fire, even guns and other items in a fire proof safe have been destroyed.
People Like This 
Old 02-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good point, Axxe. Left at high enough temperatures long enough the contents of a fire safe will burn. Get it hotter than the rating and your stuff will burn sooner. Personally, I keep my important papers in a fire resistant safe inside my fire resistant gun safe. If nothing else it will make it easier to attempt recovery. Can't you hear it now? See that big lump over there? There should be a smaller lump inside. That's where what's left of my papers might be.
People Like This 
Old 02-22-2014, 12:44 PM   #29

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

That's a really good idea.^^^ Those small document containers are cheap, too.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
That's a really good idea.^^^ Those small document containers are cheap, too.
I think I paid $25 for mine a few years back. I keep it on the floor of the gun safe. My house is on a slab, so with heat rising I'm hoping it will stay cool enough at the bottom to save my papers.