Safe vs Locker vs Case
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes >

Safe vs Locker vs Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 02:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Safe vs Locker vs Case

I'm new to firearms and I was just wondering if it was okay if I could store a gun in a carrying case designed specifically for firearms or should I just go ahead and get a locker or go all out and invest in a safe now. I do plan to buy more guns and gun accessories, many more. It's not much so people don't steal it but that it is kept safe and won't get damaged and I definitely don't want to rust up due to the climate.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallejo View Post
I'm new to firearms and I was just wondering if it was okay if I could store a gun in a carrying case designed specifically for firearms or should I just go ahead and get a locker or go all out and invest in a safe now. I do plan to buy more guns and gun accessories, many more. It's not much so people don't steal it but that it is kept safe and won't get damaged and I definitely don't want to rust up due to the climate.
do not store a firearm in a case. the interior can attract moisture that can cause the firearm to rust. the only ones i can think of that are the exception to this are those treated with silicone to resist them from rusting. the locker or safe will have to be determined by your own personal needs for securing them and what risk there is to them. a locker will keep out the casual person from getting access to them if locked, but by no means will it keep a thief out. a safe is the best choice and the best chance to keep them secured and at least will slow down a thief. may not stop him, but it will take him longer to break into it than a locker.
People Like This 
Old 02-09-2014, 02:30 AM   #3

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

Soooo much info you need here. All I can say is, if you can afford it, cut to the chase, and buy the best and biggest, highest quality safe you can. Also note that if a safe says "can hold 10 guns" it can really hold 5 guns easily, conveniently, and safely. (If you care about them, anyway.) Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but your state/locality may have laws regarding how you store them, (California).

One thing I'd like to get eventually is a Pelican case big enough to hold a bunch of guns. I'd use it to transport to the range. Those things are sturdy, rustproof, waterproof, and lockable. The big ones have wheels. Not cheap, though.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:33 AM   #4

Quote:
do not store a firearm in a case.
Just to note; I stored my 77/22 for YEARS in a soft case, no desiccant, no issues. Recently, I put it in a metal cabinet, WITH desiccant, and it had rust on the barrel where it rested in a month. You have to be careful no matter where it is.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Just to note; I stored my 77/22 for YEARS in a soft case, no desiccant, no issues. Recently, I put it in a metal cabinet, WITH desiccant, and it had rust on the barrel where it rested in a month. You have to be careful no matter where it is.
i have seen to many guns over the years that were stored in soft cases that ended up with rust on them.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:38 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but your state/locality may have laws regarding how you store them, (California).
"While storing a loaded firearm, it must be in a place which cannot be accessed by a child under the age of 17, or secured with a trigger lock if there is reason to know that a child under 17 may gain access to the firearm."

This is it that I know of. I live in Texas not California so it it's not that strict. (unless you're using California just as an example then nevermind)

Old 02-09-2014, 02:39 AM   #7

I don't doubt that. But just so he's aware, it can go the opposite way, too.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

So I definitely don't want to store it in a case. Good to know.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallejo View Post
"While storing a loaded firearm, it must be in a place which cannot be accessed by a child under the age of 17, or secured with a trigger lock if there is reason to know that a child under 17 may gain access to the firearm."

This is it that I know of. I live in Texas not California so it it's not that strict. (unless you're using California just as an example then nevermind)
he probably didn't know what state you are in. some states have strict laws regarding keeping them secure and California is one of them.
People Like This 
Old 02-09-2014, 02:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Oh, right, I didn't notice you're from Texas. I was just using Cali as an example. Ummm, isn't it illegal NOT to have a loaded firearm in Texas?
People Like This