Safe Mounting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Safe Mounting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 04:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Safe Mounting

I'm wanting to mount a safe in the master bedroom closet. I'm in the process of installing new floors and an idea for mounting came to mind. Since the floors are down to concrete now I was thinking instead of drilling through the concrete to mount a safe I was wondering what you guys thought about concreting it to the floor. I don't know if I'm putting to much thought into it but, was wondering if maybe the cold moist concrete would eventually have adverse condition to the safe or if the dampness from the concrete would penetrate the safe. Any thoughts. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #2
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Some safes are made to be set and or surrounded in concrete. Cash drop safes come to mind where the door is round, and heavy, and sits below the level of the floor. Pretty sure you are not talking about that kind.

Most small safes are bolted to a floor, wall, something, to keep them from walking away.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #3

Liked 1195 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 381

I believe you want a layer of something between the concrete and safe to prevent it from rusting. Plywood seems to be popular probably because it's so cheap and not high enough to allow a prybar to get a lot of leverage.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 02-01-2013, 04:50 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
I believe you want a layer of something between the concrete and safe to prevent it from rusting. Plywood seems to be popular probably because it's so cheap and not high enough to allow a prybar to get a lot of leverage.
Your right, I didn't even think about having something between the safe and concrete since this idea just popped into my head today and I haven't had the chance to plan it out completely yet.
More ideas and thoughts please.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Mine is on carpet now but before when we had the old one in the garage we went to the ag store and bought that thick 1" rubber matt that horses stand on and cut it in half and double stacked it under the safe.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts

My safe weighs enough that if someone wants to carry it out of the house they earned it.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:49 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfmdl
My safe weighs enough that if someone wants to carry it out of the house they earned it.
Well since you offered, i guess I could come give it a try... ;D

Old 02-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #8

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel9892

Well since you offered, i guess I could come give it a try... ;D
I'll help ya lol

Old 02-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92

I'll help ya lol
Perfect! Ive got a forklift. Shouldnt take too much. Unless hes got some some kind of underground bunker with 10 feet of cement for walls.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:04 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do not drill through the floor but into it.there are many very good construction adhesives that you can also use. Using them does not allow any use of a pry.You had better realize that this is very permanent.Also keep that areas humidity at 50% and you should not have to worry. vasa1628

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk