Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Revolver Safe? (newb)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4702

There are some really nice .38 special rounds available that would let your wife defend herself better than the cheapo .38 special "range rounds". I had some made by Aguilla that were inexpensive but nasty-looking half-jacketed hollow points.

For my GP100 i keep it loaded with a couple of "speedloaders" beside it. I do keep it in a safe, but with no kids around, the safe isn't locked. Put a flashlight with the revolver.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

imdaveg Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Good call on the flashlight!

Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #13
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5617 Times on 3303 Posts
Likes Given: 4702

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaveg View Post
Good call on the flashlight!
I like the $20 Redline Nebo; batteries last quite a while.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

imdaveg Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The GP100 fits nicely in here:

FAS1 SAFE (FAS1-Magnum)

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

imdaveg Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6106 Times on 3698 Posts
Likes Given: 6910

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaveg View Post
My wife and I are picking up our first firearm on Thursday (GP100), which of course means we're picking up a safe tomorrow. Looking for something that will eventually house two handguns.

Do you prefer the finger push combo safe or the scrolling number safe? Finger push seems easier to manage in the dark or hurry up situation.

We have a 12 and 9 year who obviously wouldn't know the combo.

Also, do you really need to store the gun and the ammo separately? If so, why?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
imdaveg
My first gun was a GP100, too. I didn't buy ammo until I had a safe. Here is what I got.

http://www.gunvault.com/gv2000c-std.html

I store my revolver loaded in that safe next to my bed. I now have 4 handguns and they all fit in there but it's a tight squeeze and I definitely need to get myself a second safe.

Not only does a safe keep your guns form 'inquiring minds' but I would be devastated if my guns got stolen.

My practice is to keep my guns locked at all times they are not with me or on me. Yes, definitely teach your children gun safety. My granddaughter knows never to touch a gun she sees laying around. We practice gun safety when I let her look at my guns. Always check to see if it's empty, never point it at anyone, etc. But I NEVER take the chance with her life by hoping her curiosity doesn't get the better of her. After all, she IS a child. My theory? Better safe than sorry. Some tragedy happens and you'll spend the rest of your miserable life thinking, "If I had only......"
imdaveg Likes This 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #16

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I was also going to suggest a gunvault safe. I've got a couple of them and they're real nice. You could probably find something cheaper, but would you really want cheaper? Good luck and good job with the kids getting involved also.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #17

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 57

That's the one we bought winds-of-change. And yes, we probably overpaid for it, but it's got good tamper/sensor alarms and what not on it.

I keep my gun loaded and in the safe next to my bed with a flashlight and a reloader.

I walked my kids through looking at it, seeing that it was unloaded, let them hold it, told them not to point it at something they didn't want to destroy, not put their finger on the trigger, etc.... All in an effort to take the mystery out of it. They haven't even brought it up since it came home.