Revolver Safe? (newb)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Revolver Safe? (newb)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default Revolver Safe? (newb)

My wife and I are picking up our first firearm on Thursday (GP100), which of course means we're picking up a safe tomorrow. Looking for something that will eventually house two handguns.

Do you prefer the finger push combo safe or the scrolling number safe? Finger push seems easier to manage in the dark or hurry up situation.

We have a 12 and 9 year who obviously wouldn't know the combo.

Also, do you really need to store the gun and the ammo separately? If so, why?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
imdaveg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

All of my guns stay in a 800 lb safe except for my carry gun. When I'm awake, it is on my side. When I sleep, it is nearby. Out of sight, but not locked in a safe. It also stays loaded.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #3

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaveg
My wife and I are picking up our first firearm on Thursday (GP100), which of course means we're picking up a safe tomorrow. Looking for something that will eventually house two handguns.

Do you prefer the finger push combo safe or the scrolling number safe? Finger push seems easier to manage in the dark or hurry up situation.

We have a 12 and 9 year who obviously wouldn't know the combo.

Also, do you really need to store the gun and the ammo separately? If so, why?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks
imdaveg
It could be a law ware you live that guns and ammo stay separated. I'm not sure of any state with that law tho. But other than that there is no reason to store them separately unless that's just what you won't to do. A few of my guns stay loaded at all times.

I would go for the biometric safe. That's what I'm going to git for my HD gun before my daughter starts walking around.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 AM   #4

The Wife would only let me get it if it was stored in a safe! Hahah no, I want it locked up too, at least while the kids are still in the house.

The ammo thing was a question on the CA handgun cert test. I got it right, but only because I knew its what they wanted to hear. If the gun is loaded in the safe with live ammo, what's the point of keeping it separate??

Old 02-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 156 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaveg View Post
The Wife would only let me get it if it was stored in a safe! Hahah no, I want it locked up too, at least while the kids are still in the house.

The ammo thing was a question on the CA handgun cert test. I got it right, but only because I knew its what they wanted to hear. If the gun is loaded in the safe with live ammo, what's the point of keeping it separate??
There isn't, you wouldn't want to load a gun in the middle of the night anyways. I would say go with whatever you feel is more comfortable for you. If you search threads on here there are a few about storing guns with children in the house.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 AM   #6

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdaveg

Well in my case all my ammo would not fit in my safe. All my guns don't even fit in my safe. Keeping guns locked up with kids is a must. If you don't you should walk into traffic. So good for you on being a responsible gun owner. (Or soon to be) I will definitely be buying a new safe before I even look at another gun.

You live in CA? That explains it. It is probably illegal to keep guns loaded and guns and ammo together there. And btw Congratulations on the gp-100.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #7

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A couple of things to consider here with your situation.

First and foremost: If this will be your primary home defense arm, why would you want it inaccessible and unloaded? My recommendation? Keep that bad boy fully loaded and in a simple to use biometric safe. See if by any chance you can "test drive" the safe while in the store with your eyes closed (to simulate doing it in the dark at home). In regards to storing gun and ammo separately, I know of no state in the Republic that has such a law, not even the commie bastard libtard run states. Canada seems to be a different story from what I hear. So, if you're in the states (sorry, I didn't bother to look and see if your location is listed) you should have no legal problem with storing it loaded. Now, depending on your state, if you have to use it, you may run into different trouble. But, better to be judged by 12 than carried by six. Even if you end up in prison for life, protecting your loved ones is worth it.

Second: This is y'all's first firearm? Can your wife handle it? The beauty of the .357 magnum (that's the chambering of the GP100, right?), is that they're generally pretty heavily built, and can shoot .38 special (oftentimes more accurately than the magnum round, depending on specific load). .38 through a .357 should offer your wife a much softer and more comfortable shooting experience, while the .38 special is still a very viable self defense round.

Lastly, and this is controversial in some circles; how about those kids? They're old enough to learn and understand, but only you can be the judge of whether or not they're mature enough to be around a gun. Personally, my self defense firearm is loaded 24/7, and I don't even own a safe. My 7 year old pretty much has free run of the house, and I actually allow him to handle my 1911 (only after being unloaded by me, having him verify the chamber is empty, and under very close supervision). I try to make it as close to a classroom experience as possible, interpretation: boring. Taking the element of "taboo" out of it that society tries to drill into his head, thereby taking away the element of it being exciting to do something he's (supposedly) not supposed to be doing.

I've taught him safe handling with his nerf gun and pellet rifle. He can identify all the parts to my 1911. And, just to prove a point once upon a time, I had him instruct my sister in law in taking it apart (she has almost ZERO firearms experience, and his hands aren't strong enough.) The two of them proved a good team. Between them, they were able to take it apart and put it back together, and without inducing the infamous "Idiot Scratch" that plagues inexperienced 1911 owners.

So, my personal thoughts on the matter: Keep it loaded and handy. Teach your kids, not just "don't touch", but all aspects of firearms ownership (your 12 year old may even be big enough to take to a private range). The best course of action to start with is to take at least one, preferably several, safety and marksmanship courses if you haven't already done so.

This is what works for me, and is by no means a cookie cutter family plan for everyone. Only you know what you, your wife, and your kids can handle, AND, MOST IMPORTANTLY, what will keep them all the safest is your primary concern, responsibility, and job, and your personal judgment in the matter RULES ALL.

Last edited by trip286; 02-06-2013 at 03:31 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #8
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1100 Times on 708 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Congrats on the safe (and the gun)

Old 02-06-2013, 05:06 AM   #9

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I definitely am soaking it all in.
Yes, we're in CA. I have to say, the process wasn't overwhelming. Seemed just about right to legally by a gun. Everything made sense to me.

Actually feeling pretty encouraged about how we've gone about things. Neither my wife or I grew up in families that even owned bb guns, let alone real ones. I started the conversation about a year ago with the wife. We talked a lot about it and finally decided we were good to go. I got my kids bb guns for Christmas and had them out there practicing safe shooting. For a guy who's never had one, it feels like I'm on the right track. Seems like the main safety point for owning a gun is good old common sense. Don't point at things you aren't shooting, check to see if it's loaded, don't walk in front of a shooter, etc. etc.

The ammo thing... I don't know if it's a law in CA to have them separate from the gun. I intend to have it always loaded. If the kids are ever home alone, it will be locked up and in the safe with the trigger lock. But at night, it'll be ready to roll.

I've included them in the entire process to minimize the "taboo" you talked about. I want them to respect guns, not be afraid of them. They came to the store, watched and listened to everything. I showed them the ammo I bought for the home, let them hold it, how it works, etc. Not sure when I'll be ready to take them to shoot it. I guess like the entire process, we'll know when we're ready.

The wife loved shooting the GP100. We both need to be able to use it, so that made the choice easy. Though she actually didn't like shooting the 357 rounds. "Too big of bang". hahah but loved the 38's.

So glad to see that the gun community is so helpful and encouraging.

Thanks again for the advice.
imdaveg

Old 02-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #10

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The Gp100 was my first handgun purchase and my wife shoots it just as much as I do. We bought a gunvault to keep our handguns next to our bed because of the kids. and I have no complaints, its not going to keep a thief out but it will keep your kids out.