Rental apartment gun storage - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Rental apartment gun storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1190 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 181

I think the suit bag thing in the closet is the best Idea!!

Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #12

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I bought one of these a while back (link). If it wasn't for the locks on it you would have no idea it was anything other than furniture. I have it turned to where the locks face the couch. So most people never even see the locks. Even sitting there you really don't pay attention to them. I have an end table that matches it that has three drawers.

I've never heard of a rental property that tried to negate the 2A. I think I'd wan to have a legal man challenge that.

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 05-05-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added a second link

Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

As far as I know, in most states if the landlord or company owns the property, I would think they can deny guns from being in their units. I don't like it, but I would think its the same idea as a store/business owner posting a sign that reads "No firearms."

My recommendation other than the closet hanger thing, which is brilliant, is an under the bed safe.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #14

Liked 1332 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 857

I.m not sure they can deny you guns in you unit. While they may own it, it is your domicile, and therefore, you have certain rights to have whatever you want, as long as it's legal. I think there are legal terms and laws for it, but I don't know what they are.

Drumjunkie, I followed your link to the table. And I clicked on the April 2013 link to the left. I will have to say, I'm more interested in the ladies' panties with the secret compartment. If my wife had those, I'd be constantly bumming a few bucks, even if I didn't need it.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #15

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 372

The owners of the apartment have the right to put any exclusions that they wish in the lease. If you don't like it, you don't have to move there. I suspect that breaking that rule could get you evicted, just like moving a dog into a "no pet" place. The "rights" issue is a strange thing, other folks want their rights too.

That said, I would move in a gun safe for my stuff. It is no one's business what is in your safe.

Carl Sagan

Old 05-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #16

Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts

Insanity. I'd tell the landlord exactly what i thought. A landlord cannot enter your residence without 24 or 48 hours notice (i cant remember exactly) unless it is a dire emergency. If they had to get in and then found your guns in your closet or underwear drawer, there could potentially be a serious lawsuit( considering they are legal otherwise and its not a 1919 you are hiding) I fought this battle twice in my time, and refused to rent ever again. As a renter you have a ton of rights. Become informed on those and make sure your landlord is aware that you are not a dumb pushover
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3729 Times on 2286 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

[QUOTE="Papa_Woody" A landlord cannot enter your residence without 24 or 48 hours notice[/QUOTE]

I believe this is one of those things which is dependent on the state you live in. Possibly even the locality. Heck, it might even come down to the specific terms of your lease.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 3542 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Legally in the states the most that the landlord could would be start an eviction proccess which can take up to 90 days sometimes less sometimes more depending on the state.

Having a gun in your domicile under lease isnt breaking a law just a rental agreement. Under eviction in wisconsin the landlord can keep your deposit.

Your state law may vary. Some states its excessively difficult to evict anyone for any reason.

If you choose to go the safe route check the load capacity of your flooring. Some safes can be dangerously heavy.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #19

Liked 587 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm
As far as I know, in most states if the landlord or company owns the property, I would think they can deny guns from being in their units. I don't like it, but I would think its the same idea as a store/business owner posting a sign that reads "No firearms."

My recommendation other than the closet hanger thing, which is brilliant, is an under the bed safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
The owners of the apartment have the right to put any exclusions that they wish in the lease. If you don't like it, you don't have to move there. I suspect that breaking that rule could get you evicted, just like moving a dog into a "no pet" place. The "rights" issue is a strange thing, other folks want their rights too.

That said, I would move in a gun safe for my stuff. It is no one's business what is in your safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Legally in the states the most that the landlord could would be start an eviction proccess which can take up to 90 days sometimes less sometimes more depending on the state.

Having a gun in your domicile under lease isnt breaking a law just a rental agreement. Under eviction in wisconsin the landlord can keep your deposit.

Your state law may vary. Some states its excessively difficult to evict anyone for any reason.

If you choose to go the safe route check the load capacity of your flooring. Some safes can be dangerously heavy.
All of this..
Just think of it this way, if YOU were the land lord and YOUR rental agreement said 'no pets' or whatever you want to add, regardless of legality, you would expect renters to be truthful and abide by the rules of the agreement.
This is not a 'rights' issue. No one said you can't own or buy guns, it's simply saying you can't have them on THEIR property NOT YOURS. Understand? Do yourself and others a solid and find somewhere else to live.
No laws are being broken, so save your lawyer money for a better place to live.

I don't mean to be harsh but this IS a straight forward issue.

DISCE PATI

Fear cuts deeper then the sword.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #20

Liked 275 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I don't know what you decor is, but I always liked furniture that can hide guns.
curio-gun-cabinet.jpg