Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/)
-   -   Rental apartment gun storage (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/rental-apartment-gun-storage-90140/)

waxman895 05-05-2013 02:12 PM

Rental apartment gun storage

Does anyone have any suggestions for inconspicuous gun storage for a rental apartment ?
The new place I'm moving to has a no-firearm policy, but the lovely girl at the office winked at me and told me she keeps hers in a nightstand and told me don't ask don't tell.... The problem is my ar mossberg 500 and .303 don't fit in a nightstand... I keep my doors locked but I'd like to have them and my ammo out of sight

rifleman1 05-05-2013 02:25 PM

what country are you in,they can not tell you you cant have a gun.

Tackleberry1 05-05-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rifleman1 (Post 1237530)
what country are you in,they can not tell you you cant have a gun.

What Rifleman1 said...

If your in the US... Request that policy in writing.

Do it after you move in and show it to an attorney.

I'm pretty sure being evicted for gun possession would give you a doozy of a lawsuit.

I personally despise anyone who looks for a reason to sue people but landlords seeking to violate civil liberties are a "special" kind of azz hole! ;)

Tack

Sniper03 05-05-2013 02:57 PM

I agree with Tack! I would take them anyway. There are all kinds of good ways to conceal them. If they can't see them they have no right to pilfer around your place without your permission! For example an apartment, if they want to change a furnace filter or make repairs. Best, don't let them in without you being present! Simple as that! And if you needed to give them permission not being present. And if your items are concealed and out of sight in an area they should not be pilfering in and locate them? Well in that case if it caused any problem at all, the serious problem would be theirs.!!!!!!
If you wanted to shoot them take them out in a inconspicuous box or container. Like a box blinds or a sweeper comes in. So if you passed another resident they would not be aware of the contents.

Anna_Purna 05-05-2013 03:03 PM

Do you have any kind of a storage or hall closet?

c3shooter 05-05-2013 03:05 PM

Go get a couple of the GOOD wooden suit hangers. Drill and add a wire hook the will allow the rifle to hang from a sling swivel. Get a zippered suit bag. Put hanger in bag. Hang rifle. Zip bag. Put sports coat over the bag. Hang it in between shirts, suits, etc.

They make one like this for handguns, have not seen a store bought one for rifles.

clr8ter 05-05-2013 03:11 PM

THAT^^^ right there is a cool idea!

If I am not mistaken, a landlord has the right to go into your apartment without you being there in certain cases. Fire. Water issues, ect.

Why not just get a locking cabinet, and put it in the closet?

Squawk 05-05-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clr8ter
THAT^^^ right there is a cool idea!

If I am not mistaken, a landlord has the right to go into your apartment without you being there in certain cases. Fire. Water issues, ect.

Why not just get a locking cabinet, and put it in the closet?

I'd buy a gun locker from Stack On for $100. That will keep them concealed. Personally, I would hope the landlord is that stupid to try and deny my civil liberties. He'd be giving me free rent for a while.

fa35jsf 05-05-2013 04:40 PM

My apartment has a no gun policy also. I just laugh at it because in my opinion it violates the United States Constitution, Oklahoma Constitution, and the Oklahoma Self Defense Act.

Most of the time that is in a lease simply as a liability with their insurance. If push comes to shove, any good judge should side with you. It shouldn't get to that point though.

I ordered some ammo at one point and it came in a small heavy box to the front office with a "small arms cartridge" sticker on it. The guy asked my, "what did you get? A lead acid battery?" I should have just said, yeah sure, but instead I said "Nope. ordered some ammo." The guy was just like "oh I didn't hear that". Haha. My apartment has 4 individually leased rooms with deadbolts on each door. I changed my deadbolt without the apartment knowing so they cant get in. If they have to do maintenance I leave the door open, hide the guns, and usually leave a camcorder rolling on my desk under some papers. I'm not paranoid, just cautious.

PanBaccha 05-05-2013 08:06 PM

Certainly doesn't leave one much choice. Do you love yourself? Then your firearms are your best bet if life is threatened by home invaders. 911 or your landlord's number will NOT do the trick.