Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Reinforcing a "locker" style cabinet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

On the hasp lock mod: Why not make a rod that runs through the back of the locker to the door, through a piece of thicker steel attached to the inside of the center of the door and through the door sheet and then put a padlock through that rod? Kinda crude, but it would slow down the stupid ones.

I like the jobox.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

The Job Box is a clever idea, and if you cut 5/8" X type drywall to fit tightly inside all the sides and the top,you will get almost an hour of fire protection too.You can carpet or use self adhesive shelf paper to pretty it up and protect the drywall like they do in the factory safes.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #13

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotenator View Post
The Job Box is a clever idea, and if you cut 5/8" X type drywall to fit tightly inside all the sides and the top,you will get almost an hour of fire protection too.You can carpet or use self adhesive shelf paper to pretty it up and protect the drywall like they do in the factory safes.
Very true and the job box steel is heavier than most safe steel to be honest with you 5/8" waterproof drywall is heavier than most safes, most of them use 1/2" glued to the steel with construction adhesive and the corners sealed with construction adhesive or 100% silicone . and paper thin cheap carpet . I think I could make a safe out of a job box that would handle at the minimum of 1 hr and possibly 2 hrs of extreme heat . 2 layers of 3/4" would make it heavy as hell and rock solid against heat . man you got me thinking about making my own safe for my new house when we get moved in

Just for reference a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" weighs 89.6# , doesnt take much area to make a couple hundred #s of drywall quickly
and a 4x8' sheet of 1/4" steel weights 326#
3/8 4x8' 489#
1/2" 4x8 652#
Doesnt take long to have a 1000# safe pretty quick

Last edited by purehavoc; 11-27-2012 at 02:13 AM.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:11 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5272 Times on 2748 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Best way is camoflage. Hide the thing inside something else then dont tell anyone else especially children who talk to friends. Most home burgleries are commited by by teenagers who know something of value is in the home that they overheard the kids who live in the home talk about at school.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #15

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Heres what I suggest buy a job site tool box $150 and turn it on its end then buy some 3" dia pipe lengths 1" long PVC works fine also for legs for this then lag bolt it from the inside thru the legs and into the floor , the 1" legs keep the lid from touching the floor so it can be opened . they use 2 padlocks to lock the lid and these are very hard to get into . Cheap safe
I'm stilll trying to visualize this, but it sounds... sheez, better than anything I've thought of!!!!

THANKS!

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #16

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
heres the link to the one he has , his was on sale and I believe he got it for $155
My buddy has his set up like a coffee table with a cover on it so you really cant even tell what it is the only bad thing is you do it like that you have to built racking in them to put the guns and you have to remove alot of it to get to the bottom if you want something out of the bottom , no racks you start stacking guns and it becomes a cluster , set it on its end and you can lean them up against the wall instead of stacking them on each other .
http://www.ruralking.com/delta-job-site-box-42-toolbox-636990.html
I guess I'm being dense, but wouldn't the 48 inch one be better?

and btw, thanks for the Kaley pictures.

PatMan

"You'll put your eye out, kid"

”You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.”
~Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"DUMP HICKENLOOPER".. my future bumper sticker.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnolans View Post
I guess I'm being dense, but wouldn't the 48 inch one be better?

and btw, thanks for the Kaley pictures.
No problem with the pics , but depends on how big you want , thats the one they had in stock that my buddy could afford so he bought it I dont think he has any guns over 42" long anyway but yes it would give you more room .
I will draw up a sketch here in a minute and show you what Im talking about

Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

You can put a chain around it and through it and then let it go through the trigger guard of each gun just like on the old westerns. If you do put a lock make sure it is a Trojan lock and make a metal box so only the key will go in the lock. You can go out and buy 4 pieces of 1/4 to 1/2 inch metal strips about 6 inches wide and reinforce the lock.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 PM   #19

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I have a friend that got my safe for me and it is a top notch one that is fire and water proof. I paid about 350 for it and it was a 800 dollar safe.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #20

Heres a sketch so you know what Im talking about

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-03-2013 at 02:19 PM.