Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/)
-   -   Reinforcing a "locker" style cabinet? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/reinforcing-locker-style-cabinet-77128/)

therhino 11-26-2012 01:52 PM

Reinforcing a "locker" style cabinet?

Hey all.
The wife has been on me for a bit now to invest in a lockable solution for our guns. We can't spring for a full-on safe right now, but Stack On makes several "locker" style cabinets that we can manage, especially with the XMas sale prices and the Cabelas coupons I get almost weekly.
Problem is, those Stack On cabinets are just sheet metal and a cheap lock. Great for keeping babysitters or guests out of the thing, but not so much anyone with a crowbar.
I'm wondering if it'd feasible or worth my time to reinforce the door lock on one of these things with a supplementary hasp lock. My initial thought was to get a solid hasp lock, and two steel backer plates. Instead of simply bolting the hasp to the frame and door of the cabinet, I'd place the backer plates behind the sheet steel on the inside, and bolt the whole thing together. I'd have a layer of steel on the outside (hasp plate), middle (locker sheet steel), and inside (backer plate).

Would this conceivably make the thin sheet steel any harder to get into for a random meth fiend with a crowbar?

dada2d 11-26-2012 02:05 PM

I was thinking about getting the same cabinet. They are very thin metal. It would take the thief a little longer to get into if you put a hasp and padlock on it, but I don't think that the door as a whole could take an assault by a determined thief with a crow bar. You would have to bolt thing to the floor and the wall as well to make it even more secure. A bad guy with a crowbar and a hack saw would make short work out of that thin metal :( I was thinking about stashing one in the back of the closet. Maybe even make like a false wall in front of it! For the money it is a good deal for some kind of secure storage for your valuable weapons and such. Keep in mind that there is no protection from fire as well. Just my .02
Have a great day , and good luck in your search! BTW , keep an eye on Craigslist for some deals on an actual safe.

c3shooter 11-26-2012 02:14 PM

Just my opinion- it is what it is- a low security storage option. Even if you reinforced the door, the seams just above the door are tack welded. A good hit with a 3 lb hammer will pop the tack welds. Then a crowbar or large screwdriver can peel it.

If you reinforce one point, the rest of the container is still weak. You beef up door, locking lugs are still bendable. It is better than hiding guns on the tops shelf of the closet, it will deter the person that is looking to be in and out in 3 minutes. Of course, any security container needs to be attached to the structure, unless you are storing 500 lbs of lead shot in the bottom...:p

GaryGlock 11-26-2012 02:24 PM

I'm in the same boat right now, like C3 said better than having em on the shelves on the closet.
Ill probably pick one up at the beggining of the year.

therhino 11-26-2012 03:31 PM

Thanks, all. Looks like I'll grab one and leave it be. Good for keeping the guns out of sight and behind a lock, but I'll keep saving for something more robust to trade up to.

c3shooter 11-26-2012 03:44 PM

If you want to beef up the door a bit, you CAN add a hasp and padlock. Use some flat washers on the inside to spread the force of pull out a bit, and use a jam nut Second nut tightened down on the first) with the regular nut inside. Will make the door a little more secure, but rest of container still has weak spots.

purehavoc 11-26-2012 04:27 PM

Heres what I suggest buy a job site tool box $150 and turn it on its end then buy some 3" dia pipe lengths 1" long PVC works fine also for legs for this then lag bolt it from the inside thru the legs and into the floor , the 1" legs keep the lid from touching the floor so it can be opened . they use 2 padlocks to lock the lid and these are very hard to get into . Cheap safe

GaryGlock 11-26-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc
Heres what I suggest buy a job site tool box $150 and turn it on its end then buy some 3" dia pipe lengths 1" long PVC works fine also for legs for this then lag bolt it from the inside thru the legs and into the floor , the 1" legs keep the lid from touching the floor so it can be opened . they use 2 padlocks to lock the lid and these are very hard to get into . Cheap safe

Bet then he'd have to do it himself!! Maybe the gooberment will do it for him.
Sorry I had to.

therhino 11-26-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by purehavoc (Post 1027941)

Cool idea. Happen to have a link to an example box? All the ones I'm seeing are $300+.

purehavoc 11-26-2012 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
heres the link to the one he has , his was on sale and I believe he got it for $155
My buddy has his set up like a coffee table with a cover on it so you really cant even tell what it is the only bad thing is you do it like that you have to built racking in them to put the guns and you have to remove alot of it to get to the bottom if you want something out of the bottom , no racks you start stacking guns and it becomes a cluster , set it on its end and you can lean them up against the wall instead of stacking them on each other .
http://www.ruralking.com/delta-job-site-box-42-toolbox-636990.html