Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/)
-   -   Old gun safe (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/old-gun-safe-93618/)

string1946 07-09-2013 01:58 PM

Old gun safe

4 Attachment(s)
I've got an old gun safe that I now use as an ammo locker. It has always had a 60W bulb in the upper left but that didn't help much on the lower shelves. I just kept a small Maglite on the upper shelf if I needed to look for something lower in the safe. I saw an write up in some gun magazine about a company that sold flexible light strips for different applications including safes so decide to give them a try. I ended up with 2 48" and 5 20" strips which cost around $80 and that included a 8AA battery power pack, an AC adapter, a push button off/on switch and a door switch. Since I have power in the safe I am using the AC adapter. The first picture is of the safe with the basement lights on (and the camera flash), second is the safe with the 60W light on and third is with the light strips on and the last one is of one of the 48" strips. www.maxmysafe.com

PanBaccha 07-09-2013 03:23 PM

Whoa! Nice collection of long guns in the background! :eek:

string1946 07-09-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PanBaccha (Post 1299482)

LOL. thats just part of one wall. There are two more walls.:D

JW357 07-09-2013 03:36 PM

Seems like the lights work pretty well. Cool!

string1946 07-09-2013 06:20 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PanBaccha (Post 1299482)

Ok Pan, I know how much both of us like pictures so here ya go. See how many you can identify. There will be a test later. :D

duddie10 07-09-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by string1946 (Post 1299601)

Ok Pan, I know how much both of us like pictures so here ya go. See how many you can identify. There will be a test later. :D

Holly mother of guns!!!!. A gun store in ur basement?!!! Reminds me of that movie tremors. Where tye guy Burt had his basment the same way. Of corse he was reloading when the giant graboid came thru the wall. Lol i hope i can muster half of the guns you have.

string1946 07-09-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duddie10 (Post 1299647)
Holly mother of guns!!!!. A gun store in ur basement?!!! Reminds me of that movie tremors. Where tye guy Burt had his basment the same way. Of corse he was reloading when the giant graboid came thru the wall. Lol i hope i can muster half of the guns you have.

Ok crap. Now I'm going to have board up the windows by my reloading bench. :D

Vikingdad 07-09-2013 08:44 PM

I did a similar lighting setup in my shipping container using two 20-foot long ribbon strips of LEDs. Each 20-foot roll was $10, they can be cut to shorter lengths but I just stuck two strips to the ceiling and plugged them into a rechargeable battery that is connected to a small solar recharger. I spent maybe $50 for the whole setup, scrounging what I could. I have been intending on lighting inside the safes the same way but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the strips I have I can cut them to about a foot long, so one segment on each shelf I can light 20 shelves. All of it runs on 12 volts and uses very little power.

string1946 07-09-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 1299713)
I did a similar lighting setup in my shipping container using two 20-foot long ribbon strips of LEDs. Each 20-foot roll was $10, they can be cut to shorter lengths but I just stuck two strips to the ceiling and plugged them into a rechargeable battery that is connected to a small solar recharger. I spent maybe $50 for the whole setup, scrounging what I could. I have been intending on lighting inside the safes the same way but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the strips I have I can cut them to about a foot long, so one segment on each shelf I can light 20 shelves. All of it runs on 12 volts and uses very little power.

They say that depending on how many lights you have a normal setup of 2 48" and 4 20" strips should run about 72 hours on 8 AA batteries if you leave them on or about 6 months using them 15/20 minutes per day.

orangello 07-09-2013 09:05 PM

What? No Bersa Thunder .380?

;) Nice lighting.