New Sturdy Gun Safe
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > New Sturdy Gun Safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 04:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Sturdy Gun Safe

Well, it's not exactly new anymore since it's been four months but I thought after seeing their name mentioned earlier that I'd give a quick review of my Sturdy gun safe/s in case anyone is considering them.

Just a little background, Sturdy Gun safes is a family owned business that entirely fabricate their safes from start to finish in the USA. All components, from the steel, fire lining, locks (their standard mechanical S&G) are made in the US. You won't find a glossy paint job on their safes as you may find on some others but what you will find is heavy welds, precision fabrication, tight tolerances and a very strong design. No, they aren't TL rated but for a RSC class gun safe it will be hard to find a stronger build.

So I received my second Sturdy Safe recently and unlike my first basic non-firelined model, this one had quite a few upgrades.

I went with the 4ga body with 7ga reinforcing plates that line the sides and wrap behind the door jamb and also the roof is plated with 7ga as well. The door is 3/8" plate steel which comes with the standard 'smart' re-lock that as they say will only deploy when it's needed.

The entire safes in lined with ceramic and high temperature glass insulation. It's an expensive option which is why I skipped on it the first time but after many year of research, I'm convinced that the example on their website is no fluke.

Anyway here are some picture:

4ga body plus 7ga reinforcing plates, 3/8" door with fire lining and 16ga inner liner.

Gun safe as it arrived.

The fit of all components is impressive, it's hard to show in a photo but the craftsmanship and attention to detail is remarkable.

Tolerances around the door, just enough room for credit cards.

For comparison, here is the door gap of my first Sturdy Safe which after 8 years (and a paint job) is still just as tight.

So here are my two favorite videos of theirs which really show off the strength of the door design. If you haven't seen them before, they are worth watching just to keep in mind when looking at some of the competitions offerings. With a fork truck putting 11,000Lbs of tension on the door, the door does not fail.

And another good one of a pry bar test with two bolts cut and two large guys putting their full weight on the end of a 6 ft pry bar that has a good toe hold on the inside edge of the door (they notched it first).

Last edited by adirondack; 04-13-2014 at 03:21 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2014, 04:04 PM   #2

Wow, what a nice gun safe . It is similar to mine that purcase from the site

Old 04-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have had old fashioned safes like the one shown above for a long time.

Safes are heavy, need a rigger to move one. Unless!

When I get another safe it's going to be one I can move myself like the Zanotti, Champion or Snap Safe.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/safes.htm

Last edited by Control; 04-26-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Liked 1078 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 710

LOL, I wonder if those 2 poor old safes are going to make it into Sturdy's "Scratch & Dent Sale".

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 659 Times on 391 Posts
Likes Given: 408

Nice Safe, the heavy ones are the best.

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Nice safe! Don't hesitate in getting a pricey safe or any other things esp when it has a good quality. It really looks so durable and I like the ceramic and high temperature glass insulation.

I create contents for Gun Mate , Hunting Magazines as well as being a regular contributor for other hunting websites.

I camp alongside some of the greatest campers, trekkers and adventure seekers in the world - unfortunately I haven’t cracked the Kokoda Trail yet.

You can grab me on Google+ or via Twitter: @Gun_Mate

Old 05-03-2014, 03:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMulligan View Post
Nice safe! Don't hesitate in getting a pricey safe or any other things esp when it has a good quality. It really looks so durable and I like the ceramic and high temperature glass insulation.
I totally agree Aaron. Price really didn't matter to me at all, if a Graffunder at over $10K was a better choice for my needs I would have not had a problem paying it.

Besides their excellent quality and design, IMO they also offer the most protection by weight of any gunsafe that I have seen. The shipping weight of my fire lined Sturdy was 1040Lbs which has far more steel than most gunsafes including some of the higher end competition (not much weight added from Ceramic Fiber fire lining vs. dry wall or concrete I.e., what is found on Fort Knox or Amsec)

Last edited by adirondack; 05-03-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack View Post
I totally agree Aaron. Price really didn't matter to me at all, if a Graffunder at over $10K was a better choice for my needs I would have not had a problem paying it.
Actually, what I meant to say, if another safe that cost more offered a better fit for my needs I wouldn't have had a problem paying it. But ... Sturdy Safe really fits my needs well so they still are my top choice; as soon as I stop moving I will likely be looking for a heavier safe / vault for a more permanent installation.

Last edited by adirondack; 05-04-2014 at 12:35 AM.