need help moving a gun safe in - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > need help moving a gun safe in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth

Until you look at the mini ruts in your laminate or hardwood floors. I can't imagine the psi on the points of contact of the golf balls and floor.
EXCELLENT point. And damn iPhone auto correct. Golf balls obviously not gold balls.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I brought mine home, and into the house myself. It weighs around 700 lbs.
I took it down 3 steps into the basement. I put drum sticks under it to roll it across the floor.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 AM   #23
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 974 Times on 639 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I move my safes myself, and usually my wife helps .

The door off idea helps, but lining the door back up again, is never easy. For that reason, I leave the doors on.

A pallet jack is also a good idea to own, if you move them around much. Purchased one at an estate sale, to move pallets, and later discovered the pallet jack really helps in moving safes. Big safes have wheels under them, the height of a pallet jack.

I also own a mule, sometimes known as a Johnson bar. It is a 6' long pry bar on two wheels. It helps move the safe, turn a safe, or get it in the air to feed in golf balls.

In nearly 3 decades, we have moved our safes about 6 times, never fun, but we have most always done it ourselves. At first, I hired a tow truck to move the big ones, but that gets costly. They hire out for less money than safe movers, but doing it yourself is the best price.

Last edited by AR10; 03-29-2013 at 02:28 AM.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:40 AM   #24

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Get a safe that you can carry anywere piece by piece.

The Zanotti safes come that way and so do the Snap Safes and others. That's what I wish I knew about long ago.

http://zanottiarmor.com/safes.htm
http://www.snapsafe.com/

Last edited by Control; 03-31-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Old 03-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #25

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Novel idea but I like my welded safe.

NEVER FORGET

Old 03-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #26

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Stop by a golf store and get a bucket of range balls. Tilt the safe and feed some balls under. Now push the safe on the golf balls. As they pop out one side, feed more under the other.
I hope he was kidding about this. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Think about it. You have a 1000 LB safe balanced, really, on some golf balls. Do you have any directional control? How are you going to replace the balls in the correct place under the safe as you roll it along? You are going to damage any "soft" hard floor this thing rolls over. If the safe un-balances on the balls, it'll tip, and the corner or edge is likely to make a nice digger in the floor. Like another poster said, if you do this, we'd like a YouTube video, please.

My only other comment is regarding security. Wouldn't the best security be NO ONE knowing you have a large, expensive safe? If you were a burgler wanting to know who in town had a large, expensive safe, who would you talk to? Safe movers. The other poster mentioned an electric dolly you can rent. The right one can climb stairs, too. That's what I'd do. Just my .02 cents.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #27

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Control, it says those things are fire-rated. Do you have one? I wonder how they fire-rate all those joints?

Old 03-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just a couple points to make:

Don't think of it as a showpiece-the other day I was over at my neighbor's house and he was showing off his new safe with the fancy interior lights, and I thought about the location- displayed in the basement up against the wall, about ten feet from the sliding glass door! If any burglar looked in the back door or any basement window it would be screaming "STEAL ME"! If you have a room that isn't visible from a window or a door, that would be my choice. Why advertise you have a safe?

Another good idea if your putting in on a concrete floor, build a 2 x 4 or double 2 x 4 frame to put it up on. You can cover it with carpet so it looks decent. Don't place your steel safe directly on a concrete floor. I'd post a picture, but an at the in-laws and will when I get home.

When I moved mine in, I laid it down in the back of my pickup, drove it up to the lower lever sliding glass door, and had a couple friends slide it out and onto a dolly like the one shown in the picture. Then I rolled it into the room and muscled it into place.

00185_lg.jpg  

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Old 03-31-2013, 09:42 PM   #29
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

My safe is about 900 lbs empty. I have moved it a couple of times. Refrigerator dolly from U-haul is the way to go. The most interesting move was the last one. We were just moving a couple of blocks in the neighborhood and moved the whole house one load at a time with a Ford Explorer Sport Track. The safe was too heavy to get into the bed of the truck so I strapped the dolly to the back of the truck and had my wife drive REAL slow. Made it in one piece. It must have been a sight. Yes it is bolted down to the slab now. Full it must weigh 1500 lbs. Add 4 anchor bolts and a thief would need a wrecker to take it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here's a great video on gun safes, but a bit long at 27 minutes. Very informative though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ltK-bDbADa8#!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."