Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > need help moving a gun safe in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 1

Default need help moving a gun safe in

I finally decided my dad's dinky old gun cabinet just isn't hacking it anymore, and all the guns that have been stacked in the corner or overstuffed into the carrying cases for the last several months now need some proper storage, so I've started shopping around for a gun safe. I decided since I'm gonna be spending a bunch of money anyway, I might as well splurge the extra and get a big one, that my collection won't outgrow in the next couple years. But how the heck do I get a half-ton safe in the house?
Option 1 is through the front door. I have French doors, so plenty of room to get in. The problem is I have no driveway, and no convenient walkway from the driveway right up to the front door. It'll have to be rolled across an uneven yard, either uphill from in front of the house, or downhill from behind. On top of that, the front room is a foot or more lower than the rest of the house, and it'll have to go up a couple steps to get it where it's gonna go.
Option 2 is through the side door into the kitchen. I have a big patio on this side of the house, nice and level, and the route across the yard this way is only slightly downhill. To get through the door, though, it has to go up a couple steps. There are also counters either side of the doorway, which make it a pretty tight fit. Either way, once inside, it then has to be gotten across the room and into position, without damaging the tile. So anybody have any ideas how I can accomplish all this? Thanks for the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I got a liberty franklin 35 in january. At 770 lbs empty I paid professionals 150.00 to move it. You know what ? After watching them that's exactly how it will be moved again if and when needed.

NEVER FORGET

Doc3402 Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 AM   #3

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Luckily mine was only 440 lbs. and I moved it by myself. Up four steps into the front door. Down seven steps into our lower family room.
I'm a small guy and I busted my ass but I did it.

I would certainly look into professional movers bud. Make sure they are insured.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:17 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

i fully agree with getting INSURED pros to do the work, as far as how ... choose where it should go and let them figure out how LOL but as for the front yard, sometimes you have to make a lil sacrifice just let them drive it right to the door in the truck, you can fix tire tracks easy enough

Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #5

Liked 54 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Im not sure how much a safe that size is but i bet its not peanuts and any local stores would be happy to sell one to you. You could put the responsibility on the seller,a lil " ill buy this safe right now if....". Your already buying the thing anyway and they may have connections to get the job done right and safe.

Or rent a heavyduty appliance dolly,find 2-3 of ur beefiest buddies and start lifting.

The thing is witha safe, theres not alot of spots to grab ahold of and anything bulky and that heavy is dangerous. Work smarter not harder on this one.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #6
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Stop by a golf store and get a bucket of range balls. Tilt the safe and feed some balls under. Now push the safe on the golf balls. As they pop out one side, feed more under the other. Two tiny people can move the largest safe that way.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 60 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You absolutely want pros to move it!!

I bought a half-ton safe, and paid for the move.
They have a powered stair dolly, and many use an air cushion dolly for moving across flats.

They are rigged to equalize levels (like sunken / elevated entrances), cover carpeted and decorative hard floors etc.,.

They are bonded and insured, in case something bad happens.

If the place you buy it doesn't have a service, or you buy it online, call a larger locksmith, many / most know of a safe -moving contractor if they don't do it themselves.

Also, WARNING - you may want the safe movers survey you house FIRST and recommend a maximum size and weight. It sucks. (Trust me) to drop a couple grand on a safe, then find out you need to tear out a doorway and part of a wall to install it. There are turning radii and room for the moving equipment to also consider.

Good luck

Btw: if you DIY, get video, it'll be a laugh riot on YouTube!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 160 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 526

The dealer you are buying from should be able to arrange delivery

Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #9

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
The dealer you are buying from should be able to arrange delivery
The dealer delivered my liberty safe to the curb for the price of the safe. It was 150.00 to bring it in and set it up. That 75' delivery was worth every penny.

NEVER FORGET

Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 695 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Personally I would have pro's come move it.

If not, Invest in two sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and about 6 one inch dowel rods. lay down a sheet of plywood. rock the safe up onto the edge of the plywood, tilt the safe back and have someone place dowel rods about 6 inches apart under the safe. Now push/roll,stopping to move dowel rods in front of one another when needed. pick up sheets of plywood and place them in front of one another. once in the house, you only need to use the dowel rods for rolling the safe. You can always find things to build with the left over plywood and dowel rods. Good luck

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered