My home was burglarized today - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > My home was burglarized today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 170 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 73

The safe is safe. It would take a professional safe cracker 90 minutes with a $500 heavy duty drill and the schematics for my safe to crack into it. This burglar is not of that caliber.

I bolted the repaired window shut with 2 pipe screws. He is not getting in that way again unless the breaks the window to pieces and climbs in.

The door is deadbolted with a double key lock -- he now needs to break the door down.

If he comes back again he won't find anything. He already took the only thing that was not bolted down -- my compound hunting bow. I am watching EBay and Craig's List for it. If I find his azz I will kill it.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:36 AM   #72
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21577 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The safe is safe. It would take a professional safe cracker 90 minutes with a $500 heavy duty drill and the schematics for my safe to crack into it. This burglar is not of that caliber.

I bolted the repaired window shut with 2 pipe screws. He is not getting in that way again unless the breaks the window to pieces and climbs in.

The door is deadbolted with a double key lock -- he now needs to break the door down.

If he comes back again he won't find anything. He already took the only thing that was not bolted down -- my compound hunting bow. I am watching EBay and Craig's List for it. If I find his azz I will kill it.
i seriously hope you don't. that last comment could be taken as a threat and used against you.

even if you found a bow like yours, or even if the bow was yours, you would still need to prove it's your bow. does it have any type of identification that you could use to prove that the bow belongs to you?

in the legal system, their is a thing called proof. even if you found your bow, but couldn't prove it's your's, it kind of pointless. knowing somethig is one thing, but proof is what is needed. BTDT. i have had things stolen before, and yes it sucks. a couple of times, i knew the stolen property was mine, the cops knew it was mine, but guess what? it didn't get my property returned.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:11 AM   #73
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1074 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
The window will be replaced with single pane double thickness heavy duty glass and a stronger frame.

The door is now double dead bolted -- just like in NYC where they often put several dead bolts on a door.

One of the dead bolts is key-only from both sides. These are only safe to lock when you leave the unit. Otherwise it becomes a fire hazard if locked inside.

And on Monday the safe will be bolted to the ground.

Still not enough to stop a skilled professional lock and safe cracker.

But plenty to stop a fool who ransacks an apartment in plain view of a 5 ft tall gun safe.

He should have just grabbed the compound bow and left right away without wasting time ransacking the place.

The complex is going to change the night watch security to afternoons instead. That is when this guy is prowling here. Mine was the third -- not second -- unit he has broken into.

And for the next little while, I will be keeping my guns duffelled up in my vehicle while I am parked at work. IF he gets in again and IF he gets away with the safe, then he will only be getting my ammo, not my guns or other valuables. We have really great security at work. Security at home really sucks.
Shoobee,

If this guy was a professional safe cracker, he would have already had the equipment to crack the safe with him.

Regarding the security of the gun safe, any professional safe cracker can get into one and they don't need a drill to do it.

As far as trashing your apartment is concerned, there were two reasons for this. First, the thief was looking for valuables. Second, they're destructive little twerps who destroy other peoples' property when they can't find anything worth stealing.

As far as the deadbolts are concerned, a locksmith can open one in less than 30 seconds. It took me ever so slightly longer than the trained professional to do it. On the last house we were in, I replaced the locks because I lost the key to the original locks. It took me about 45 seconds.

Do lock your house and safe, but realize that the lock isn't stopping any professional from gaining entry.

I know you're upset about the thief in your apartment, but don't take your guns to work with you. For the handguns, take the barrel (semi-auto) or cylinder (revolver) with you. Lube them with grease or oil and wrap them up in bubble wrap. For the long guns, remove the bolts. Keep the firearm receivers locked in your safe. Only really dumb thieves return to the scene of the crime and dumb thieves aren't likely to be very good safe crackers. Nobody will be using your guns even if they get their hands on them. You can take the firearms parts to work with you. California is very funny about people transporting firearms.