My home was burglarized today - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > My home was burglarized today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2014, 01:03 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 219 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I work in the worst prison Arizona has to offer - you do NOT want to come live here for 30-50 years!
Comments like this,

Quote:
My intention is to kill or maim anyone that seeks to illegally access my property for reasons of taking that which is legally mine or presents a danger to invited guests and residents on my premises.
or,
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about the ambushing thing too much. If I came home and some elderly thief had died in front of my safe, I would simply remove the charger before I called 911. He won't complain and the cause of his coronary will be listed as arterial sclerosis.
would most probably be read as prior intent and tampering with a crime scene. Look how many people get railroaded on GOOD shoots in bad firearm law locations, i.e., California. Gentlemen, please, chest puffing and thumping will only get you in trouble down the road if you actually follow you own advice.
Dogs are great, layered security systems are great, living in decent neighborhoods can help, but please, please, make sure ALL of your preparations are within the letter of the law where you live, or you might get to know people like me way too well.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:24 AM   #62

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I found out today that this burglar has been working the condo's next door as well since at least January.

We really have a serious problem in our neighborhood, it appears to be.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:52 AM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 478 Times on 318 Posts

Maybe your local police could concentrate on this criminal. My guess is they are instead out writing speeding and parking tickets all day.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 07-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #64

Liked 219 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 30

It's California - they're assisting criminal aliens across the block and harassing law abiding gun owners.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 AM   #65

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

The safe is now safely anchored to the ground.

The locksmith explained how this works, and how a cement base is preferred.

I am lucky that I live on the first floor, therefore there is cement under my carpeting.

Now I will look around for some kind of surveillance system that I can hook up in addition. I know a friend who has one hooked up for his cabin in the woods.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:23 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 478 Times on 318 Posts

Lights and noises are what you need. Don't over pay for too much so called security. Physical security is most of what you need.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #67
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2288 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

A well hidden camcorder would not hurt either. A good picture could finish the burglars career.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2468 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

I am lucky that I live on the first floor, therefore there is cement under my carpeting.

Now I will look around for some kind of surveillance system that I can hook up in addition. I know a friend who has one hooked up for his cabin in the woods.
I had one, self installed. Basically a motion activated camera outside, and a very small SD card DVR inside, hooked up to an old portable TV. It was surprisingly inexpensive. You don't even need a video. Rapid fire serial stills will give you better resolution. If need be that's the way I'd do it again.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #69
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

i hope you got permission from your landlord. driling holes into the floor and possibly ruining the carpet, may cost you the security deposit.

now the landlord may not mind one way or the other, but i think they should have been asked before doing so, to see if they were okay with mounting the safe to the floor. some people may object to such things.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:29 PM   #70
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3356 Times on 2270 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I had mine anchored to a Steel plate, with the plate anchored to the cement floor........I put a security system in,..but only 2 working cams. The other two are fakes,..for show. My two working do both motion and still frame grabs continuously...Home Depot is your friend...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...