My home was burglarized today - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes >

My home was burglarized today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1095 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
You might, I might not. I love my old guns and love looking at them, they arent far from my swords which are next to my knives, right by three bookshelves of beer-steins. Together they add up to a whole lot of centuries of beautiful firearm, cold steel and other art. I auctioned my namesake WF38 because it was too valuable to display and looked pretty unimpressive in a safe where I couldn't see it or show it to friends.
I can understand that.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
well i had thought about debating you on this, but i simply am going to refuse to take the bait.

you have no clue as to where i live, or my particular circumstances.

you must really think i lock doors for my protection?
Its not about protecting yourself, its about securing your property and valuables including firearms when you are not at home.
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #53
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8288 Times on 4261 Posts
Likes Given: 9557

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Good, I don't see how anyone could argue that locking away valuables and firearms when you were not at home was a not a good idea. Most would agree that making things as difficult as possible for burglars was a good idea.
Anybody, How about me????

I can do little to make it difficult for criminals to do their damnedest, I refuse to just exist in a cage and Im not rich enough to afford a castle, thats not freedom either way, thats captivity. There are places that are much safer than the others where "Robberies are common", thats where I live and its not safer cause of the Safe Act, its safer for every reason but that.
kbd512 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #54
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Its not about protecting yourself, its about securing your property and valuables including firearms when you are not at home.
please come walk into my house, when i or the wife isn't home!

please make your will out before doing so!
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #55

Liked 356 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by awahlster View Post
If you see someone you have a bad feeling about in your neighborhood walk up and take a photo. Make sure they know you took the photo. They will not likely break into your house when they know you will give the photo to the police.

I have even taken photos of the cars plates parked next to me in parking lots before (had $1500.00 in body damage caused by a car sweeping my rear quarter panel leaving a parking spot) Never know when it might help and now days a digital photo on a phone takes a few seconds and costs nothing.
I will from now on. Great idea. Sorry I did not think of it.
Mercator Likes This 
Old 06-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #56
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 386 Times on 245 Posts

School being out the most probable afternoon burglar is a male resident of the departments between the ages of 14 and 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 06-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Shoobee,

Sorry to here about your unfortunate experience. Even more sorry to here that you are in Cali where if you did come home to the burglar, you would probably be wrong to do anything but call the police.

Please take a look at this security system. You buy the system outright, meaning there is not a rental fee or contract or monthly fee. If you wish to have it monitored by the police or by your phone, there are options for that. The monitoring center for this company is the same ones as the big name companies (they just contract it out like Brinks, ADT, etc.) Also, you can customize the kit to fit your exact needs and you install it yourself. Best of all, you can take it down and move it easily. Also, it works off cell phone towers so no phone lines to cut. Here is the link:
http://simplisafe.com/

Camera systems usually cost $300-600 for a decent system. Just make sure you hide the DVR or get one that automatically uploads the video to the internet so the thief can still be caught if he decides to steal the DVR.

If keeping your guns in your truck becomes unfeasible, think of places in your apartment to hide things. Return air vents, behind water heaters, in freezer under the meat are all good places to stash big things like guns. For small things you could install a fake plug in the wall and nobody including your landlord would know any better. Check out this link:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Your-Own-Secret-Hidden-Safe!-For-Under-$2/

Just avoid hiding things under furniture, between mattresses, behind pictures, behind or in bookcases as those are common places for a criminal to look. Think about what the burglar trashed and what he didn't look through, then hide your items accordingly.

Lastly, good luck. I sincerely hope that you don't get hit again. Unfortunately, the statistics are not with you on that one.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 07:16 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
please come walk into my house, when i or the wife isn't home!

please make your will out before doing so
Or your dogs, dogs can be a good deterrent.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #59

Liked 1740 Times on 1039 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
again that would be ambushing which is illegal. if the burglar has a pacemaker or a weak heart and has a heart attack in front on the safe. guess who might be sued for civil damages or even possibly brought up on criminal charges?

he's in California, so the criminals enjoy a very liberal viewpointed state in regards to guns and citizen rights.
I wouldn't worry about the ambushing thing too much. If I came home and some elderly thief had died in front of my safe, I would simply remove the charger before I called 911. He won't complain and the cause of his coronary will be listed as arterial sclerosis.

A fence charger is about the same as a taser and cops don't worry about coronaries. They won't kill you, but they hurt like hell. Most thieves would be scared to touch anything else and just go next door.

Even if the thief continues to trash your place you can have the pleasurable knowledge that you gave him a come-to-meeting experience for his trouble.

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Chainfire; 06-29-2014 at 09:20 PM.
People Like This 
Old 06-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #60
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22392 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I wouldn't worry about the ambushing thing too much. If I came home and some elderly thief had died in front of my safe, I would simply remove the charger before I called 911. He won't complain and the cause of his coronary will be listed as arterial sclerosis. In other words, **** him and the horse he rode in on.
and when they did an autopsy, you might want to consider looking for really good defence lawyer. they can determine such things. tampering with a crime scene and evidence are both felonies.
People Like This