My home was burglarized today - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > My home was burglarized today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
That will get you prison time, bad idea.

Sorry about the robbery and the subsequent feeling of violation. I will also agree it is not the gun owners fault that his guns get stolen - it's the thief's fault, plain and simple. If he hadn't broken in, nothing would be wrong. I also agree gun owners SHOULD get a safe IF they can afford one, but it should NEVER be required.
Back to the safe - will the complex let you you bolt it to the floor?
Excellent question.

The management has agreed to install a heavy duty non opening window.

I have a locksmith coming over this afternoon to install 2 or 3 dead bolt 2 key locks on the door.

And I will keep my guns in my car while I am at work.

If he comes back to steal the safe, he will get the safe and the ammo, that's all.

Not my guns.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne1 View Post
It saddens me to hear of your burglary, it happened to my mothers house not long after she died. My brother was living in it at the time, and the burglaries would happen during the day also. The police would not even come out to take a statement for a report, even though my brother came home while they were still there, and saw them go into a house 2 doors down. They said it was his word against theirs. He had also told them that they stole his S&W pistol, and still nothing. They do not classify a daytime burglary as being the same as a night time burglary. Nighttime is a class A, and day time is a class B. They figure nobody will get hurt during the day I guess. And that is totally wrong. Some people work nights. Anyway a week or so later he was hit again by the same people, and same results from the local police. So we ended up replacing all the door locks and door knobs because they stole a set of keys my mother had kept in an end table in the living room. Including keys to the motorhome.

I wish you well in this, and hope the criminals figure it is time to look for another place to prey on since they have hit at least 2 times now.
Another thing you could try for now is to talk to your neighbors and see if any of them are home during the day. Then if so, ask if they would watch the neighborhood for that pickup and then report them as suspicious to the police whenever they see them in the neighborhood.
Our entire complex is now vulnerable, you are right.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Sorry about your robbery. Maybe hide the firearms someplace else, and fill the safe with bricks?
I'll take them all to work with me.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP03 View Post
This is so true. Dogs should be a part of your family, and not just protectors of your property. Several breeds have been tagged as aggressive due to idiot owners.

That being said, you can have both. I have 2 dogs right now, one a puppy that will be 170 lbs but will lick the intruder to death before stopping them, as long as I'm not home (Newfoundland). The other 110 lb dog would rip them a new one before getting into the first room(Greater Swiss Mountain Dog). Both are great family dogs, each with different personalities and different purposes. I choose my breeds on family characteristics. The fact that I have protection is secondary.

Please don't get a dog just to protect your belongings. Even the best protectors need a loving family that will show them that.
I love pets.

I love my kitty.

I will just need to add a dog to the mix.

I am stupid for having waited this long.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #25
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7465 Times on 4071 Posts
Likes Given: 15365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post

I am stupid for having waited this long.
It is not stupid to expect others to be respectful. I wouldn't even call it ignorant or naive. There is just a certain breed of jackass that feels that working is a foolish way to make a living. Eventually, they all get caught. Better by the police than the victims.

No offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 06-28-2014, 11:58 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

If you have a smart phone there are internet security cameras that will text you the instant they are activated by movement with a pic of the perp.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2014, 01:10 AM   #27

The locksmith stopped by today to install a double keyed dead bolt lock on the front door.

He will return on Monday to bolt the safe to the ground.

I asked him how long a good safecracker would take to break into my Liberty Centurion safe.

He said about 90 minutes.

However it is unlikely that this burglar is of that caliber.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:13 AM   #28
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I really doubt your mark is a "good safe cracker."

Old 06-29-2014, 01:16 AM   #29
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

How big is the complex? Perhaps the complex could benefit from a security guard.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #30

The window will be replaced with single pane double thickness heavy duty glass and a stronger frame.

The door is now double dead bolted -- just like in NYC where they often put several dead bolts on a door.

One of the dead bolts is key-only from both sides. These are only safe to lock when you leave the unit. Otherwise it becomes a fire hazard if locked inside.

And on Monday the safe will be bolted to the ground.

Still not enough to stop a skilled professional lock and safe cracker.

But plenty to stop a fool who ransacks an apartment in plain view of a 5 ft tall gun safe.

He should have just grabbed the compound bow and left right away without wasting time ransacking the place.

The complex is going to change the night watch security to afternoons instead. That is when this guy is prowling here. Mine was the third -- not second -- unit he has broken into.

And for the next little while, I will be keeping my guns duffelled up in my vehicle while I am parked at work. IF he gets in again and IF he gets away with the safe, then he will only be getting my ammo, not my guns or other valuables. We have really great security at work. Security at home really sucks.