My home was burglarized today - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes >

My home was burglarized today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8244 Times on 4247 Posts
Likes Given: 9489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
I am glad I have a gun safe which protects my guns, computers, jewelry, money, camera, binos, and other documents.

The burglar after breaking in through the window and ransacking the apartment only got away with my Hoyt Maxxis 35 compound bow -- worth about $500 on the internet but cost me close to $2000 including accessories.

He could not get into the safe. He could not get into the locked tool box either. Both weigh too much to carry.

The LEO who took down the incident report said that burglaries are way up in terms of stats.

His suggestion was a noisy alarm system. A dog is a very noisy alarm system.

Wishing I had a dog right about now though.

I agree with European thought that it is irresponsible to have guns without a gun safe. Today is why.
Sorry to hear that Shoobee, its a horrible thing when someone invades your private space and property. Its tantamount to rape when you start to worry that there is really no safe place, even your home. Like the rape victim that thwarts the attack with prevention and quick reaction, your safe kept your boomers from becoming theirs. Also like the Rape Victim, you can do everything right and still end up in a very bad place.

I hope they catch the scumbag MF's that took a piece of your world away by breaking, entering and stealing from you but because there wasnt anyone killed or injured, its likely not going to get a second glance by the "Authorities". Sadly, if they did catch them, they might get a few months behind bars at most, catch and release is more likely than anything.

Quote:
I agree with European thought that it is irresponsible to have guns without a gun safe.
I dont know if I do, yes your weapons were safe but now they know there is something in there that they may want worse than a compound Bow they will be lucky to get a $50 bucks for. Id get a dog and maybe think about an audible alarm system, if you walk in on them robbing you, you could lose a lot more than a Bow and a window.

Also, its not Irresponsible to have guns without a gun safe anymore than a woman in a bathing suit is asking to get raped or leaving your keys in your car means it should be stolen. If some POS shoots a kid with your Compound Bow or stabs someone with a kitchen knife they stole from you, thats not due to your irresponsibility, its because they are criminals plain and simple. Its reasonable firearm owners should secure their weapons against children in the house but locks dont stop criminals from taking things from you. Locks didnt stop them from entering your home, they just didnt have a way to open the next set of locks.

Again, Im sorry that you were invaded, its a sickening thing to worry about "the next time" the rest of your life. I hope you can move to a place where Burglaries dont happen much! If
Quote:
burglaries are way up
maybe you should be hammering on your local Erected Officials and PD to crack down and make some stunning examples out of Criminals who invade others personal private domains in such manners as this.
People Like This 
Old 06-28-2014, 12:24 PM   #12

Liked 97 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Taking in a dog is a big responsibility. If you have the patience to house break it, walk daily, give attention (!) and live with the barking/stealing/accidents, the dog will reward you in a way no living creature can, including fellow humans. For a while I did not. Now we have exactly the kind you may want, small, short haired, and ever vigilant. He raises hell inside when neighbors cats walk by.

Be sure to file the description of the guy to the cops. Stolen goods turn up later, you never know. Sorry the cops weren't more interested. I guess you are not one of commiefornias celebrities.
This is so true. Dogs should be a part of your family, and not just protectors of your property. Several breeds have been tagged as aggressive due to idiot owners.

That being said, you can have both. I have 2 dogs right now, one a puppy that will be 170 lbs but will lick the intruder to death before stopping them, as long as I'm not home (Newfoundland). The other 110 lb dog would rip them a new one before getting into the first room(Greater Swiss Mountain Dog). Both are great family dogs, each with different personalities and different purposes. I choose my breeds on family characteristics. The fact that I have protection is secondary.

Please don't get a dog just to protect your belongings. Even the best protectors need a loving family that will show them that.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 866 Times on 569 Posts

Sorry for your losses and invasion mercator. I have seen a few strange souls in my neighborhood from time to time. Whenever I do, I go outside and very obviously stare at them. Usually until they leave, or come talk to me. Usually it is a contractor or town employee in an unmarked car or van. I think I scared a poor utility guy last week. I have even thought about going out with a note pad and taking down license plates. Remember, it is YOUR neighborhood. Don't be aggressive, but don't be shy either. Let people know you are paying attention. Good job having a safe and locking up your guns.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 06-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #14

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Sorry about your robbery. Maybe hide the firearms someplace else, and fill the safe with bricks?
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 06-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8244 Times on 4247 Posts
Likes Given: 9489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Sorry about your robbery. Maybe hide the firearms someplace else, and fill the safe with bricks?
I was thinking along those lines but maybe a small (1/4 lb of plastic, cap, couple ft of det, trip igniter wired to inside of door) pyrotechnic charge instead of just bricks. Nothing says its time to get a different job more than a half coffee can of nuts and bolts flying at you at the speed of sound
People Like This 
Old 06-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3700 Times on 1782 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Shoobe,

Sorry to hear about the burglary! There is just something devastating about someone encroaching on our sacred private space and life!
They do make alarms for appartments that you could install. Some have door as well as window devices that detect glass breaking or doors opening. Others detect motion with fairly loud horns and sirens. Check the Internet for some ideas.
Another thing that I use is simple Trail Cameras hidden in unsuspecting hidden locations. They can be valuable in apprehending suspects and giving precise times.
In addition as one of the guys stated check your local pawn shops. If nothing else, call them and ask them if they might have your type bow for sale? "You are interested in buying one!" That will not alert them you are looking for your stolen item.
Next look at the local news paper adds, Craigs List, Trader News Paper and similar. Thousands of item have been located by the above. If you should locate your bow! Give them a couple of bucks and tell them you need to go to the bank machine and get the money and then call the Police and return without them knowing the police are there.
Good luck! If I hate someone it is a thief who breaks into a private home! The only good one is a dead one! In closing a good trail camera or two does not hurt and does not cost that much and they are on duty all the time. OH BY THE WAY! Don't forget to turn them OFF if you are having any activity at home that is private, like with your wife or girlfriend!!!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #17

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
I was thinking along those lines but maybe a small (1/4 lb of plastic, cap, couple ft of det, trip igniter wired to inside of door) pyrotechnic charge instead of just bricks. Nothing says its time to get a different job more than a half coffee can of nuts and bolts flying at you at the speed of sound
I thought of something like that at first too, but rejected it due to liability issues from possible 'collateral damage'. Then I thought of a spring powered surprise, like in a 'Jack-in-a Box', sufficient to cause cardiac arrest (natural causes). Finally I settled on increasing the labor required so as to burden the thief with the dispiriting memory of expending so much effort for so little reward.

Last edited by Vincine; 06-28-2014 at 02:23 PM.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 597 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 3116

It saddens me to hear of your burglary, it happened to my mothers house not long after she died. My brother was living in it at the time, and the burglaries would happen during the day also. The police would not even come out to take a statement for a report, even though my brother came home while they were still there, and saw them go into a house 2 doors down. They said it was his word against theirs. He had also told them that they stole his S&W pistol, and still nothing. They do not classify a daytime burglary as being the same as a night time burglary. Nighttime is a class A, and day time is a class B. They figure nobody will get hurt during the day I guess. And that is totally wrong. Some people work nights. Anyway a week or so later he was hit again by the same people, and same results from the local police. So we ended up replacing all the door locks and door knobs because they stole a set of keys my mother had kept in an end table in the living room. Including keys to the motorhome.

I wish you well in this, and hope the criminals figure it is time to look for another place to prey on since they have hit at least 2 times now.
Another thing you could try for now is to talk to your neighbors and see if any of them are home during the day. Then if so, ask if they would watch the neighborhood for that pickup and then report them as suspicious to the police whenever they see them in the neighborhood.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #19
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9470 Times on 5113 Posts
Likes Given: 19643

Get renter's insurance.

No offense and none taken
People Like This 
Old 06-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #20

Liked 260 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
That will get you prison time, bad idea.

Sorry about the robbery and the subsequent feeling of violation. I will also agree it is not the gun owners fault that his guns get stolen - it's the thief's fault, plain and simple. If he hadn't broken in, nothing would be wrong. I also agree gun owners SHOULD get a safe IF they can afford one, but it should NEVER be required.
Back to the safe - will the complex let you you bolt it to the floor?
People Like This