You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes >

In the market for a Gun Safe, could use some suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default In the market for a Gun Safe, could use some suggestions

I don't have an armory. Currently 7 mid range guns, with a few thousand rounds of ammo. But I have some plans in the future (acquiring more guns, obtaining some NFA items). Wife and I will also be planning on having kids in the near future, and we have some valuables and important documents. So I'm in the near market for a gun safe. I can afford to wait though. I was hoping some on here could give me a few suggestions, pointers, opinions, ect.

Here's the list of importance for me:
1. Assistance loading - I have friends, but not too many. Not close enough that I feel comfortable inviting them over to help me place the gun safe in the closet. I'd prefer if few people knew about it.
2. Something to keep locked up - mainly from soon to be inquisitive kids.
3. Something with decent fire-resistant rating
4. Something that will deter a criminal, but probably not stop them - top of the line isn't a big deal for me. I won't have hundreds of thousands of dollars of valuables in there. If a burglar comes with good steel cutting equipment, I recognize I'm screwed anyway and I'll just file an insurance claim.
5. Cost effective - I'd prefer to keep it under $1,000. Although if I need to I can go higher.

I'm looking at a 12-20 gun safe, something that I can put in the closet. I know I should look at buying bigger than I need right now, but I really only plan on getting one more gun a year over the next several years. So a 12-20 gun safe will work fine for me. If I need to get a bigger one in 5-10 years, I'm ok with that.

I'm hesitant to buy a used safe on craigslist - for one I don't get any loading/delivery help, but for two there is a local guy that knows my name and can probably find me that has my gun safe combination. Makes me feel uncomfortable.

My local Gander Mountain has a Liberty series that appears halfway decent, although I've heard horrible reviews:
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Liberty-Private-LR22-22-Gun-Safe-Mech-Lock-Black-Gloss-Chrome-Hardware&i=841600

Other than that, I'll probably have to order it. Meaning I won't really get to see it first hand before it comes.

So any suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 187 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 173

pretty much any safe I am aware of at this time you will be able to change the combination to suit yourself just make sure you get all the keys etc that go with the safe for making those changes and a second hand should be safe. As for them knowing your name and stuff use a login name that is not your own and I see no requirement to share addresses for a gun safe might or might not be a good idea when buying second hand guns but not a safe. Mine came from a farm and home store I am pleased enough with mine it is a bit large but I have three fine sons to help me when I have to move it. If moving is a big concern and looking at the list of items you have might want to consider two or even three safes of smaller size rather than one for all. that has the benefit of not having all your eggs in one basket. Make sure fire ratings are done by a reputable rating entity. keep in mine you likely won't get 12 guns in a 12 gun safe think mine lists as a 24 but if I stuff 24 in there I'll be banging them up.
If you can afford it don't skimp get as good a safe as you can afford. I really wish I could afford the safe that has the anti drilling technology that includedes a layer of hardened stell ball bearings that defies attempts to drill into your safe.

Thats my 2cents hope it helps.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #3

Liked 358 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 358

My locksmith who bolted down my gun safe for me with a special drill and special steel expanding bolts told me that a professional safe cracker would need a large heavy duty drill plus the right training and 30 minutes to crack into any gun safe.

So there you have it.

My home was burglarized about a year ago and the thief being an amateur smash and grab guy could not get into my gun safe, so everything inside of it was safe.

He turned over the apartment, but only took a fraternity ring on the dresser (I did not wear it that day) and my compound hunting bow (it would not have fit inside the safe).

So my first suggestion is to get a safe big enough to hold all your valuables --

- long guns

- handguns

- ammo

- archery gear

- cameras

- binos

- telescope

- jewelry

- laptops

- etc ...

My second suggestion is to bolt it to the cement foundation with special steel expanding bolts that are impossible to remove.

My third suggestion is to sleep with a pistol under your pillow and carry a lethal weapon with you at all times. That way if you interrupt a burglary you can shoot him/them. Burglars usually travel in pairs where one guy is the lookout and the other guy does the breaking in.

Our neighborhood has had numerous burglaries which seem to migrate from home to home, both during the middle of the day when everyone is gone to work in this bedroom community and in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping.

With police forces downsizing, burglaries are skyrocketing now. These are virtually unstoppable and unsolvable crimes. You're on your own and the police cannot help you.

Last edited by Shoobee; 03-26-2015 at 05:57 PM.
JCS53 Likes This 
Old 03-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr5 View Post
pretty much any safe I am aware of at this time you will be able to change the combination to suit yourself just make sure you get all the keys etc that go with the safe for making those changes and a second hand should be safe.
I wasn't aware you could change the combo. That's good to know.

Part of my concern with buying used isn't only the comfort/disclosure level. But it's the price point, buyer beware, moving issue as well.

Take this one for example:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/spo/4926055177.html

Decent size, appears to be decent quality, about an hour away from me. Only their asking price is almost the same as new:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/772289/browning-sporter-fire-resistant-gun-safe?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google-_-pf_ci_google&gclid=CJzgor7QxsQCFdgagQodm3QAqg

Yeah, I can shop around, haggle, wait, play the craigslist game of massively lowballing someone. But in the end, with all craigslist items I've found I need to be the first to inquire, and the first to show up with cash. That's tough, even with an ITTT program running.

And even then, assume I take 3 or 4 months and find the right one, assume it isn't defective (and I don't know it), assume I can save $200 off new price. It's alot of work for $200, I have to move it myself, and there is no warranty.

I don't know, just not sure used is the way to go. If I could get a $1,000 safe for $600, I'd be on it. But most craigslist deals don't work like that. At least from my experience.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:31 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
So my first suggestion is to get a safe big enough to hold all your valuables
I still think a 12-20 gun safe will do it. I don't have that many valubles . . . at least ones that will regularly spend time in a safe. Laptops I use every day, just not economical to put it in the safe. Most of my valuables are in stocks, bank accounts, retirement accounts, so on.

Quote:
My second suggestion is to bolt it to the cement foundation with special steel expanding bolts that are impossible to remove.
I'd have to do it to the floor joists, but same concept.

Quote:
My third suggestion is to sleep with a pistol under your pillow and carry a lethal weapon with you at all times.
Wife probably wouldn't be ok with a gun under the pillow.

I've contemplated getting a nightstand gun safe, small one. It'll probably be second or third on the list though.

I do drive around with a gun in the car, but on me at all times is a little difficult. I go to federal court regularly, so can't carry in there. They frown on empty IWB holsters too (the metal clips set the metal detectors off, and even pulling an empty holster out of your waist line will grant you a strip search almost every time). So it would be down to a pocket pistol while working, left in the desk while I'm in court. A pocket pistol is on my "to get" list though.

Thanks for the pointers.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #6

Liked 358 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
...Wife probably wouldn't be ok with a gun under the pillow... .

I do drive around with a gun in the car, but on me at all times is a little difficult. I go to federal court regularly, so can't carry in there... .
Turn your own pillow so that the open end of the pillow case is towards the middle of the bed.

Then stuff your pistol into your pillow case under the pillow and all the way over to the far side of your side of the bed. No worries then.

The pistol will then be on your side, away from her, not pointing at anybody, the pillow will cover the pistol, the pillow case will cover both, and your head will be on the pillow holding everything down so nobody can get to it. This way if you need the gun in the middle of the night you can just reach inside the pillow case for it in complete darkness without making a move.

As for the car, they make hardened pistol boxes you can bolt into your trunk or under your seat. The trunk is usually harder to break into.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:42 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 187 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 173

If IWB has those metal easy on off clips then the holster would stay with the pistol in the car. At least mine does when those situations arise. Sounds like new is where you are going then . I'd try the farm and home stores and even wal mart for a good deal. won't be a browing safe but will probably be good enough by your demands.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 AM   #8

Liked 248 Times on 184 Posts

Maverick series from Fort Knox

Old 03-27-2015, 01:06 AM   #9

Liked 2216 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Liberty safe! Get the Guntalk discount

Buy a safe twice as big as you think you need. I'm not a fan of putting ammo in a safe.
People Like This 
Old 03-27-2015, 02:30 AM   #10

Liked 74 Times on 49 Posts

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/cannon-ts6040dlx-wide-body-safe-48-gun-capacity

Have two of these,,,,,great value, price, very good manufactor

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk