Locking up in NYC? (Gun safe)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Locking up in NYC? (Gun safe)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Locking up in NYC? (Gun safe)

Hey everyone, this forum seems like a knowledgeable bunch of folks, so I wanted to ask you all about storage and safes to keep your weapons in. How do you decide what kind of storage you want to use? How much money should I pay for a gun safe?

Let me give a bit of background information. I'm not what some liberals would call a “gun nut” - although I have nothing against firearms enthusiasts at all. In fact, it was the recent uptick of crime and attacks in my area that finally made me “bite the bullet” and purchase myslef a Glock. It isn't anything fancy or rare, but I have to admit that it is a fine, functional thing – holds good, shoots good. I like it. Anyway, I realized that if the Obama administration gets their way, it might become much harder for me to protect myself and my family. So I did it now.

The thing is, I've got some valuables in my home that I want to secure, and I don't think a handgun safe is going to cut it. So I was thinking of getting a bigger, proper safe. Work requires me to travel a lot, and I'm going to be in New York City next week. Since I have a sturdy, strong truck I figured that I might as well buy a safe there – in such a big city, people will definitely want to lock up their valuables and the competition should be pretty high between locksmiths and safe retailers. Overall it should provide a good deal, you know? After a Google search I found a place called Precision Lock and Safe, which seems quite legitimate and reputable. Your input would be much appreciated, though.

Since I have very little knowledge of and experience with safes, I thought maybe asking people here would be a good idea before going and purchasing something that might set me back several thousand dollars. Should I get a safe with a keypad or a dial? I need to store paper documents that have both financial, sentimental, and legal value – I'm assuming that I should invest extra on a fireproof safe? Our family home is pretty small, so I'd have to buy a pretty compact safe, too, but I definitely don't want one that could be carried away... Maybe it would be best to install a wall safe?

Anyway, thanks for reading this loooong text, I didn't mean to make it so long. Any and all advice will be appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 543 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 215

It looks like you might want something like this. This is an actual safe, not something from Walmart.

http://www.brownsafe.com/hd-safes/hd2418.html

Here is my quick word on "safes", most on the market do not actually carry any actual safety ratings.

The brown company has been around for decades and all their products are made in the USA. Their website has lots of good info about safe on it and what you should look at before you buy. Just go to brownsafe.com

If you are really concerned about thieves and want to make their life even more difficult should they ever try your safe, you can upgrade to more steel and a glass plate re locker system.

As far as opening goes, well that is personal preference although any locksmith will tell you that push button electronic locks will eventually wear out, someday.

Hopefully this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 49

the hell with buying in NYC go over to PA where the sales tax is waaay lower and buy one there it should save you a chunk of change and it would also keep fresh money out of the liberal cesspool that is NYC.

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 49

if you buy in the city they tack on an additional 4.375 % in sales tax on a big purchase like a safe that adds up fast

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.