Loaded guns in safe - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Loaded guns in safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

since all guns are treated as loaded i dont see what difference it makes if you keep rounds in them. your not going to point them at someone anyway.

several of my rifles and handguns in the safe have rounds in the magazines. i keep a sixpack of ar15 mags ready to go in the safe with ss109 six ak mags loaded and bunch of m9 and 1911 mags ready.

those are my ohst ready guns

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #32

Liked 1212 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthairptr View Post
Is it safe to store a loaded handgun in a safe? I always remove the loaded magazine and store the magazine outside if the safe... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
Personal rule, NO! If it enters the safe it is verified as unloaded and clear. When you pick it up from the safe, you again verify it is unloaded and clear. This rule applies if you are me, my wife, my family, ANYONE! It's the only safe way in my opinion. This works for me, others may treat their situation differently. With me, consistency is key and treating it as loaded even though I know it was placed in the safe unloaded (I'm present if safe is open) doesn't change the fact that we will verify it is empty. Maybe it's overkill but I'd side on overkill rather than an accidental discharge, we don't house toys in our safes they are weapons.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 08-18-2014 at 04:11 AM.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:17 AM   #33

Liked 44 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Personal rule, NO! If it enters the safe it is verified as unloaded and clear. When you pick it up from the safe, you again verify it is unloaded and clear. This rule applies if you are me, my wife, my family, ANYONE! It's the only safe way in my opinion. This works for me, others may treat their situation differently. With me, consistency is key and treating it as loaded even though I know it was placed in the safe unloaded (I'm present if safe is open) doesn't change the fact that we will verify it is empty. Maybe it's overkill but I'd side on overkill rather than an accidental discharge, we don't house toys in our safes they are weapons.

In the safe it's "safe" that's how I've always had it that's how I plan to keep it. That being said it never hurts to double check.

I do keeps mags loaded and for the most part close at hand. Spares, extra implies I have enough, are in with reloading supplies

Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1337 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 1429

Quote:
Is it safe to store a loaded handgun in a safe? I always remove the loaded magazine and store the magazine outside if the safe... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
I don`t have any Gun Safes, but I do keep several Firearms in The Arms Room Loaded !.................

When all else fails.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #35

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
since all guns are treated as loaded i dont see what difference it makes if you keep rounds in them. your not going to point them at someone anyway.

several of my rifles and handguns in the safe have rounds in the magazines. i keep a sixpack of ar15 mags ready to go in the safe with ss109 six ak mags loaded and bunch of m9 and 1911 mags ready.

those are my ohst ready guns
+1

Rule #1 of firearm safety: treat EVERY gun as if it is loaded

always have followed that rule, so what difference does it make if it IS loaded? (I have found un-loaded guns suck for self defense, possible exception: Mosins).

Old 08-18-2014, 10:07 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1224 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Quote:
It is never "safe" or "unsafe" to store loaded or unloaded handguns inside or outside of a locking firearms container, sometimes referred to as a "safe". "Safety" is a fictional human brain concept regarding the notion or belief that one can exist in a state where no physical or emotional harm will come to him or her. It exists nowhere else in the known universe and I challenge anyone here to prove otherwise.

Stop using the word "safe". There is no such thing, never has been, and never will be. I suppose one could consider him or her self "safe" after death, as no further harm could come to him or her, that we know of, but while one is counted among the living no such state of being exists.

It is not prudent, in my opinion, to load firearms which one does not intend to carry or use on or about their person. There is no way to be certain who will have access to the firearms if you are not there to supervise and, at some point, you may forget to lock the firearms container. If you wish to store your firearms with a loaded magazine inserted, or even with a round chambered, that is entirely up to you.

Personally, I keep my magazines loaded in locked containers but clear all firearms of ammunition that I do not intend to immediately use. If you can't use it, and if it is not on your person there's no guarantee that you can use it, then why does it need ammunition in it?

Be aware of any potential legal repercussions that vary from state to state regarding leaving firearms unattended, loaded or unloaded, and then do what works best for you.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #37

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If I didn't keep my handguns loaded in my lock box than what's the point of owning a handgun? Well, unless my attacker is polite enough to let me play fair and give me time to load it.
edit: wanted to add, that I am however aware of the direction of my firearm's muzzle's when they are in my lock boxes, always in a direction that is away from the kid's rooms, or living area.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Last edited by ninjatoth; 08-19-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:20 AM   #38

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My bedside gun is loaded. The ones in my safe are not. I agree with these guys, a gun is useless without ammo. But then again why would you need every one of them loaded. So no it's not unsafe to put it in your gun safe/ cabinet loaded, just don't forget that it's loaded. Always check even if you know