Loaded guns in safe
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Loaded guns in safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Loaded guns in safe

Is it safe to store a loaded handgun in a safe? I always remove the loaded magazine and store the magazine outside if the safe... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21298 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthairptr View Post
Is it safe to store a loaded handgun in a safe? I always remove the loaded magazine and store the magazine outside if the safe... Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
a gun is safe until someone uses it unsafely. a gun will not, under any circumstances, ever fire unless someone pulls the trigger.
People Like This 
Old 08-15-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2091 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 755

If it is not on my person, ammo and guns are in some kind of safe 99% of the time. I do not unload my carry pieces nor my home defense gun which I keep in quick access safes. In my storage safe, I don't typically keep my handguns loaded; but I do have some loaded AR magazines in there.

I see no need to store guns and ammo separately.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 08-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
Table of Warriors Placeholder
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6799 Times on 3714 Posts
Likes Given: 13383

In the event of a fire, only the cartridge in the chamber becomes dangerous. But so is the fire.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 08-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 734 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 220

If you are qualified. Keep a loaded gun anywhere you want. That means, however, that most gun owners should not.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 08-16-2014, 01:15 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2420 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 1228

I keep one "Revolver" loaded in my safe with an empty cylinder over the bore. Just in case of a fire the rounds going off would not have enough pressure to create a serious problem regarding a cook off! But if I was forced to open my safe I just need to grab it and pull the trigger to defend myself or the family. MY family is also educated as to which one it is and it is readily accessible. I could see a home invader not allowing the male to open the safe! I do not keep one in the chamber of my semi autos. In fact the only other ammo in my safe is three 30 Round AR Mags that are loaded incase I need them on the spur of the moment. Other than that the ammo is stored and locked in another area.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

boatme98 Likes This 
Old 08-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #7

Liked 100 Times on 64 Posts

If your revolver gets hot enough to cook-off all the rounds will probably go-destroying the gun.

Bill DeShivs

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 08-16-2014, 02:55 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2091 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
I keep one "Revolver" loaded in my safe with an empty cylinder over the bore. Just in case of a fire the rounds going off would not have enough pressure to create a serious problem regarding a cook off! But if I was forced to open my safe I just need to grab it and pull the trigger to defend myself or the family. MY family is also educated as to which one it is and it is readily accessible. I could see a home invader not allowing the male to open the safe! I do not keep one in the chamber of my semi autos. In fact the only other ammo in my safe is three 30 Round AR Mags that are loaded incase I need them on the spur of the moment. Other than that the ammo is stored and locked in another area.

I don't quite understand why someone keeps an empty chamber in a modern revolver. Transfer bars pretty well negate the need for empty chambers, don't they?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDeShivs View Post
If your revolver gets hot enough to cook-off all the rounds will probably go-destroying the gun.
I suppose the one aligned with the barrel only has at most a one in five chance of being the first to go. Good thinking, Bill.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:59 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Loaded guns in safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I don't quite understand why someone keeps an empty chamber in a modern revolver. Transfer bars pretty well negate the need for empty chambers, don't they?
NAA has created a genius way of having the cylinder stop between cylinders.

"North American Arms Mini-Revolvers are equipped with a unique safety cylinder, giving you maximum protection against accidental discharge.

The North American Arms Safety Cylinder feature allows the gun to be carried fully loaded. There are halfway notches located between the chambers. The hammer is lowered into one of these notches after the gun is loaded. When the hammer is pulled back to the firing position the cylinder rotates to the next chamber."
http://northamericanarms.com/safetycylinder

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 08-16-2014 at 03:03 AM.