I Need Some Suggestions - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes >

I Need Some Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 02:07 AM   #21
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5067 Times on 2981 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Neither.

The closet takes up the entire backside of the room. There are two sets of door with two doors each. They are regular doors that swing out and there's a ball type latch at the top that merely provides a slight resistance so the doors stay shut.
Sounds like you could lock the doorknobs together so that they can't swing away from each other. Just an alternative.

As Vincine points out the hinge pins are still outside. But if your purpose is to keep the kids out, they probably won't be pulling hinge pins off to get in.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.

Last edited by Balota; 01-14-2014 at 02:10 AM.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #22

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Sounds like you could lock the doorknobs together so that they can't swing away from each other. Just an alternative.

As Vincine points out the hinge pins are still outside. But if your purpose is to keep the kids out, they probably won't be pulling hinge pins off to get in.
Sure, but keeping the kids out is only the main purpose. As they are just sitting there I would like to make it harder from someone doing a smash and grab to walk out with any of them. Even though these cabinets aren't a safe they aren't as easy as some people imply they are to get into.

I think I decided to get the Stack On GC-18C as it's only $200 and it's pretty versatile. It will make a nice cabinet for locking up ammo when I do get a safe.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:23 AM   #23
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3391 Times on 2293 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Sure, but keeping the kids out is only the main purpose. As they are just sitting there I would like to make it harder from someone doing a smash and grab to walk out with any of them. Even though these cabinets aren't a safe they aren't as easy as some people imply they are to get into.

I think I decided to get the Stack On GC-18C as it's only $200 and it's pretty versatile. It will make a nice cabinet for locking up ammo when I do get a safe.

Some of the Stack-on's are ok. Homak or Cannon are better options. If you can afford a medium sized( Half height) fireproof safe for the Handguns & Ammo(139-179 at Home Depot) you can put the long guns in a stand up Safety Cabinet....
Also, write to the NSSF and get some of the " project child safe" padlocks, if you don't have the locks that came with your guns,...and chain them together inside a metal clothes closet that you can get at any Wally or Lowes, or Home Depot. Growing up, all dad could afford was a small safe for the ammo, so he got this closet( heavy gauge steel) called a Saf-T-Space,..had a roll down door secured by the Biggest Master Padlock you have ever seen, ( I think the bar was 1.5" thick around) in the back of his closet.
The only Gun he kept close by was his Off duty Colt D.Sp., and that was in a locked soft case when he was home,...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I like this one and got it at Menards cash and carry. Wide enough for stud mount with predrilled holes. Fit it inside the closet too. Hope it helps

http://www.menards.com/main/safes/16-24-guns/sentinel-convertible-18-gun-12-cu-ft-keyed-lock-steel-security-cabinet-black/p-1720308-c-6976.htm

They have others as well

Old 03-10-2014, 03:31 AM   #25

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

How about just putting a locking knob on the closet door for the interim? Maybe a dead bolt too?

Old 03-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #26
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3391 Times on 2293 Posts
Likes Given: 710

I had never heard of Menards until I saw this. Closest one to me I Kansas.....Home Depot has them,( Both Safes, and cabinets) they get a few in at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Bert Likes This