I Need Some Suggestions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > I Need Some Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

How.many do you have?

I've got my 9mm, and assorted range stuff, in a combination attaché. It's hanging on pegs from its handle on the back of a closet door. You don't even see it unless you go into the closet, shut the door behind you, and turn around.

I like the idea of just getting a lock set for the door.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #12
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2392 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 2511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
True. But it seems I'm striking out left and right here. The closet doors don't have any sort of latch.

I'm thinking I just need to get a floor standing locker for now and worry about a safe when I'm in my own place and have more options. Are there any lockers anyone would suggest over another?
Is the closet door a folding door style or sliding doors?

Can you attach a bar across the front of the folding doors to keep them from opening, then lock the bar onto the brackets?

For sliding doors, you can put a large dowel or a 2x4 in the track of the outer door to keep it from moving. Lock the 2x4 to a bracket on the inner door to keep that door from moving also.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 01-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #13

Liked 1105 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 734

If it were me, I'd buy a stack on sheet metal gun cabinet, and screw it to the studs. Done. I doubt any kids could get in there. If they even KNEW what was in there. I'm not sure why anyone would want to put them in a cabinet like that, and then cable lock them all together. That'd be tough to get them out when you wanted to use them. Also, keep in mind that the stated capacity of those cabinets (and safes) is maybe 1/2 of what they say. Unless you're willing to lay it on it's side, and dump the guns in so you can stomp them down. I have the stack on 10 gun cabinet, and it struggles to hold my 6. And that's after a lot of fiddling around making multiple new barrel rests…..

Old 01-11-2014, 09:22 PM   #14

Liked 362 Times on 207 Posts

I have a buddy that has a Homak cabinet. It's much better than a Stack-On and about the same money. Bolted to his wall studs. I'd go this route.

http://www.stronggunsafes.com/homak-gun-cabinet/

Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #15

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
How.many do you have?

I've got my 9mm, and assorted range stuff, in a combination attaché. It's hanging on pegs from its handle on the back of a closet door. You don't even see it unless you go into the closet, shut the door behind you, and turn around.

I like the idea of just getting a lock set for the door.
Right now I've got 7 rifles/shotguns and 7 handguns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Is the closet door a folding door style or sliding doors?

Can you attach a bar across the front of the folding doors to keep them from opening, then lock the bar onto the brackets?

For sliding doors, you can put a large dowel or a 2x4 in the track of the outer door to keep it from moving. Lock the 2x4 to a bracket on the inner door to keep that door from moving also.
Neither.

The closet takes up the entire backside of the room. There are two sets of door with two doors each. They are regular doors that swing out and there's a ball type latch at the top that merely provides a slight resistance so the doors stay shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
If it were me, I'd buy a stack on sheet metal gun cabinet, and screw it to the studs. Done. I doubt any kids could get in there. If they even KNEW what was in there. I'm not sure why anyone would want to put them in a cabinet like that, and then cable lock them all together. That'd be tough to get them out when you wanted to use them. Also, keep in mind that the stated capacity of those cabinets (and safes) is maybe 1/2 of what they say. Unless you're willing to lay it on it's side, and dump the guns in so you can stomp them down. I have the stack on 10 gun cabinet, and it struggles to hold my 6. And that's after a lot of fiddling around making multiple new barrel rests…..
That's what I've been looking at today. Torn between two of them right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
I have a buddy that has a Homak cabinet. It's much better than a Stack-On and about the same money. Bolted to his wall studs. I'd go this route.

http://www.stronggunsafes.com/homak-gun-cabinet/
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into them.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #16

I'm not familiar with Homak. But I'm not loyal to stack-on, either. I'd check them out. For 7 rifles and 7 pistols, a 10 gun cabinet definitely will not cut it. You need 2 of them, or a much bigger one.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Homak. But I'm not loyal to stack-on, either. I'd check them out. For 7 rifles and 7 pistols, a 10 gun cabinet definitely will not cut it. You need 2 of them, or a much bigger one.
I would think I could get all the pistols to fit on the top shelf.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #18

Quote:
I would think I could get all the pistols to fit on the top shelf.
You sure could, if you use the "dump & stomp" method….. other than that, if you want them nicely spaced out so they're easily removed and put back without dinging them, not a chance. IMHO

Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 AM   #19

Quote:
You sure could, if you use the "dump & stomp" method….. other than that, if you want them nicely spaced out so they're easily removed and put back without dinging them, not a chance. IMHO
Nah, I have them in gun rugs. I already measured and they should fit, snugly. I would never just pile them in there. And the 7th gun is my carry gun so it won't be in there much if at all.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #20

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
. . . There are two sets of door with two doors each. They are regular doors that swing out and there's a ball type latch at the top that merely provides a slight resistance so the doors stay shut. . . .
Do the doors have, or could you put on, handles?

http://safety1st.djgusa.com/wcsstore/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/products/HS170-FS.jpg

Or you could get something fancy:

http://www.specialtydoors.com/obscure/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/spoked/Gallery78.jpg

You could just use a couple of eyelet screws up near the top, and a long hasp lock if you don't mind the industrial appearance.

Of course the hinge pins are still on the outside.

Last edited by Vincine; 01-13-2014 at 12:40 AM.