Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > I Need Some Suggestions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default I Need Some Suggestions

Right now my guns are just sitting in a closet. They aren't secure in any way. That's not much of a problem since the ammo and the magazines are all locked up in ammo cans and I rarely have children in the house. When I do that room is locked so they can't go in. They used to love to come over because in that same room I have a lot of video game systems and they loved to go in there and play. And to be honest, I used to like playing with them sometimes.

So, I'm looking for an option where I can lock them up to be secure from them getting to the guns. I would love to get a full blown safe, but money isn't there. Not to mention I'm in the basement and I don't own where I live. That leave lag bolting anything to the floor out as well. However, there wouldn't be a problem with screwing it to the studs behind it which would be a lot more secure from theft than they are now.

So, I take it my options really aren't options so much as I need to get a gun locker? That being the case do you guys have any suggestions? I want one wide enough it can be screwed to studs so it shouldn't just be carried out. Also, something somewhat sturdy that it wouldn't take them a bang with a hammer to get in.

__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ACES 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fort Bliss, TX
Posts: 191
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default Try this...

Perhaps a sturdy cable and lock would work? Run it through each of them and lock them all together. Then put them all in a Stack On – or other brand – gun locker, secured to the studs in your wall. Just a thought. Also, look into a contractor’s box at Home Depot. Same concept.

Good luck!

__________________

Christopher A. S. "Boots" Combest
www.facebook.com/christopher.combest

Member: TSRA, NRA, GOA, North American Hunting Club and Ducks Unlimited

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

ACES 6 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES 6 View Post
Perhaps a sturdy cable and lock would work? Run it through each of them and lock them all together. Then put them all in a Stack On – or other brand – gun locker, secured to the studs in your wall. Just a thought. Also, look into a contractor’s box at Home Depot. Same concept.

Good luck!
I like the cable lock idea. That has an idea brewing to make it even hard if they do get into the locker. I like the idea of the contractors box, but I don't have room. It's going to have to be a stand up one that I can fit in the closet they're in.

Thanks for the help.
__________________
Polygon is offline  
ACES 6 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,509
Liked 2436 Times on 1388 Posts
Likes Given: 1909

Default

If you get creative, you don't have to buy anything

but a few pieces of wood and paneling.

How many folks are going to notice your crawl

space or attic?

Or you could build a false wall about 8" deep in a closet.

Perfect for a few-maybe eight or ten guns...

__________________
therewolf is offline  
ACES 6 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If you get creative, you don't have to buy anything

but a few pieces of wood and paneling.

How many folks are going to notice your crawl

space or attic?

Or you could build a false wall about 8" deep in a closet.

Perfect for a few-maybe eight or ten guns...
I like both of those ideas, but I'm renting a basement. Luckily it's family so I can do some small stuff, but nothing major like that.
__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,681
Liked 1417 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 707

Default

This is a combination trigger lock. When correctly applied, it is hard to defeat. I have used them on my guns. You are right not to buy a cheap surrogate instead of a real safe. A false sense of security is worse than no security. Another tip if I may, stash your mags and ammo away from the guns, and the fewer people know (like 1 is enough) the better.

image.jpg  
__________________
"You can't reason with a flying crowbar"
Mercator is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pasco Cty.FL
Posts: 6,509
Liked 2436 Times on 1388 Posts
Likes Given: 1909

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
I like both of those ideas, but I'm renting a basement. Luckily it's family so I can do some small stuff, but nothing major like that.
Is the ceiling in the basement finished?

If not, you could screw an 18" x 60" piece of 5/8th plywood

to a pair of joists, and close off both ends.
__________________
therewolf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
This is a combination trigger lock. When correctly applied, it is hard to defeat. I have used them on my guns. You are right not to buy a cheap surrogate instead of a real safe. A false sense of security is worse than no security. Another tip if I may, stash your mags and ammo away from the guns, and the fewer people know (like 1 is enough) the better.
I hate those things. And they're not really practical for how many guns I have. The big thing here is to keep them away from the kids. And to be honest, locking them in anything would be more secure than they are now. They're just sitting there.

Also, yes. The ammo and magazines are locked up in ammo cases and kept separate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Is the ceiling in the basement finished?

If not, you could screw an 18" x 60" piece of 5/8th plywood

to a pair of joists, and close off both ends.
Hmm...

Interesting idea. Almost all of the basement is finished except for one small storage room. I'll have to see if that's a possibility.
__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
eatmydust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 3,297
Liked 2484 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

Default

Short of a safe, changing the door knob set on a closet to one that is keyed and lockable is probably your most cost effective route.

__________________

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

eatmydust is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Polygon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 832
Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Short of a safe, changing the door knob set on a closet to one that is keyed and lockable is probably your most cost effective route.
True. But it seems I'm striking out left and right here. The closet doors don't have any sort of latch.

I'm thinking I just need to get a floor standing locker for now and worry about a safe when I'm in my own place and have more options. Are there any lockers anyone would suggest over another?
__________________
Polygon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.380 suggestions Mike1980 General Handgun Discussion 40 01-11-2012 12:54 AM
suggestions anyone? robbbbb Gunsmithing Forum 11 03-07-2011 03:34 PM
Need .308 suggestions TheDaggle Ammunition & Reloading 18 02-02-2011 06:40 AM
Looking to buy a Web Cam...Suggestions? james_black The Club House 1 07-12-2010 01:43 AM
Any Suggestions BlueXJ Blackpowder & Musket 5 11-14-2009 06:11 PM