Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/)
-   -   have yall seen those hidden gunsafes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/have-yall-seen-those-hidden-gunsafes-76467/)

Ultimate_sig 11-15-2012 11:45 PM

have yall seen those hidden gunsafes
 
Im thinkng of getting one mainly cause my gf doesn't like em around loaded and i want something close if shtf.

Tacticalwalls.com

jebsca 11-19-2012 03:24 AM

Looks to me like it will not close or lock, just hide behind a mirror or something. That would be fine if you just need a hiding place, but I need something that can be locked up to keep to keep the wife happy. If I was going to put something like this in my house, I think I would just cut the hold in the wall and use some 2x4s or 2x6s to make a bottom and top to fill the hole and 1x4s or 1x6s for shelves. Looks to me like for a few dollars more at amazon, you can get something that will lock. Something to think about, thanks.

Vikingdad 11-19-2012 03:50 AM

Those are just cheap vacuum formed plastic inserts that fit inside a wall. No security there I can see. Then again, if they were locking hidden compartments that would make them less suitable for quick access. Tough call. Personally I would build out my own like jebsca said and maybe incorporate a hidden catch that is quick to release but impossible to see.

kytowboater 11-19-2012 03:57 AM

I can't see them, they are hidden... duh....

Axxe55 11-19-2012 04:14 AM

i went to their website and looked at them. neat idea, but way overpriced IMO. i can do the same thing much cheaper, going to Home Depot or Lowes. it's basicly a plastic wall insert. you still have to cut a hole in your wall, and once you have done that, really the hard part is done! i have done something very similar in my garages before to add storage space for tools and such. like suggested, some 2x4's or 2x6's and some 1x4's for the shelves and it's a done deal and way cheaper. the large one on their website was a $100 and the small one was $40. you can buy a bunch of 2x4's and 1x4's for $100! also if you do it yourself with lumber instead, you are able to build it to the size that suits your needs vs. the two sized they have available. also, you still need to find something to cover the area when finished. if you custom build your own, you might be able to use something you already have vs. having to go buy something that is large enough to cover theirs. just my thoughts on it.

Vikingdad 11-19-2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1019516)
i went to their website and looked at them. neat idea, but way overpriced IMO. i can do the same thing much cheaper, going to Home Depot or Lowes. it's basicly a plastic wall insert. you still have to cut a hole in your wall, and once you have done that, really the hard part is done! i have done something very similar in my garages before to add storage space for tools and such. like suggested, some 2x4's or 2x6's and some 1x4's for the shelves and it's a done deal and way cheaper. the large one on their website was a $100 and the small one was $40. you can buy a bunch of 2x4's and 1x4's for $100! also if you do it yourself with lumber instead, you are able to build it to the size that suits your needs vs. the two sized they have available. also, you still need to find something to cover the area when finished. if you custom build your own, you might be able to use something you already have vs. having to go buy something that is large enough to cover theirs. just my thoughts on it.

The heck with buying lumber for it, just scavenge some good pallets and you have more than enough wood to build whatever shelves you want.

Ultimate_sig 11-19-2012 04:17 AM

I did some research and found some more that are actually more secure. They actually retract from the cieling, and it takes a digital in put to open. I just like the concept of the ones i posted, its better than just leaving a shotty next to the bed. Theres some youtube videos on the retractable ones, there real nice, real james bondish.

Id probably build my own as well

kusterleXD 11-19-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 1016062)
Im thinkng of getting one mainly cause my gf doesn't like em around loaded and i want something close if shtf.

Tacticalwalls.com

I'd say take the gf to the range and get her shooting. Most likely she'll come around. That's what I did with my wife and it worked. If she doesn't come around, get a new GF.

Ultimate_sig 11-19-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kusterleXD

I'd say take the gf to the range and get her shooting. Most likely she'll come around. That's what I did with my wife and it worked. If she doesn't come around, get a new GF.

Lmao true. Ive taken my gf to the range and she loved it. Changed her mind about guns, she loved em.
But....
Now we might be having a baby shes not fond of them. Ive grown more attached to them and want to walk around with my shotty to keep a minimum of 3ft between her and anything that may danger bumping in to her. We but heads about guns now and at one point she said me or them and if she wasnt caring my child id say "bye"

kusterleXD 11-19-2012 08:20 PM

I've always kept my firearms, except one, locked in a cabinet. This put her mind at ease. I would say that if you are going to have a little one running around pulling stuff apart, I'd get something more secure than the hidden ones you posted a link to. If you want security with fast access I would get a biometric one that uses your fingerprint. It might cost a pretty penny but that's about your only option for security plus fast access.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.