Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/)
-   -   The GunVault Digital Speed Vault any good? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/gunvault-digital-speed-vault-any-good-104038/)

DynoGuy 02-15-2014 03:45 PM

The GunVault Digital Speed Vault any good?

Looking for a decent lockable bedside storage for my full size 1911 would you recommend? If not then what?
Thanks,
Mike

jthoma8318 02-16-2014 06:00 AM

I've owned two gun lockers from Gun Vault. First was key pad entry 2nd was fingerprint entry. Both were great. Spend the extra money for plug in power with battery back up as the memory eats batteries. Draw back on first one was had to reprogram whenever I changed batteries 2nd one has no volatile memory so no longer an issue.

FAS1 02-17-2014 02:40 PM

I can't say on that particular model, but I am opposed to any electronics to store my defensive weapons. I like the latest gadgets as much as any guy, but not for something my life might depend on. I like the mechanical pushbutton locks for a handgun safe. Just my personal preference and experience.

k9guy 04-05-2014 11:00 AM

The bear safe i own one made in oklahoma city okla chck out there web site

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

jjfuller1 04-05-2014 12:17 PM

I bought the battery operated push button gunvault. it chewed through batteries. I changed the batteries 4 times in 6 months. so I contacted the company, complained and received a phone call. after a month and several conversations they sent me the deluxe version that plugs into the wall, and paid for return shipping for the one I currently had. I didn't have to pay a dime. I like the one that plugs in. no issues with it for more than a year, opens every time. and is pretty fast to open. keeps little fingers off of the fully loaded pistol

fnzeee 04-05-2014 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAS1 (Post 1508697)
I can't say on that particular model, but I am opposed to any electronics to store my defensive weapons. I like the latest gadgets as much as any guy, but not for something my life might depend on. I like the mechanical pushbutton locks for a handgun safe. Just my personal preference and experience.

^^^ this. Too many failure points: battery, smudge on the biometric scanner, operation with sweaty hands under duress...would go simple with a manual push button lock. When you need every time reliability, simple is usually best. Unfortunately I cannot recommend a specific model for this...perhaps others can?

Crazvet 04-22-2014 03:23 PM

I'd love to hear about the new safes that have a bracelet, I sweat in winter and don't trust I could key a pin code when I know my kids may be harmed in the middle of the night

jthoma8318 04-24-2014 12:37 AM

Key pad

The best thing about the key pad on the Gun Vault is it's laid out like fingers. 4 button setup. Program it to any code. You put your fingers in the groves and easy to remember. You don't think numbers you think index pinky ring middle. As far as the complaint it's a weak point someone brought up, it's actually a strong point. There is no need to turn on a light to see the dial. Or fumble for a key. Like I said earlier though, spend the money for the plug in power. Also, the safes have a key override if power and battery fail. The newest generation of fingerprint readers like Gun Vault is using are substantially less prone to smudges messing with them and causing it not to read. I haven't cleaned mine since I bought it 6 months ago. Some people are just stuck in the past.

FAS1 04-25-2014 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jthoma8318 (Post 1564988)
The best thing about the key pad on the Gun Vault is it's laid out like fingers. 4 button setup. Program it to any code. You put your fingers in the groves and easy to remember.

This model the OP is asking about does not have this.

jthoma8318 04-25-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAS1 (Post 1565483)
This model the OP is asking about does not have this.

Who appointed you guardian of the forum dinosaur? Your opinions don't matter any more than mine.

1 I was addressing another post.
2 I defeated your original whinny complaint about electronics.
3 you have no idea what model OP was referring to.