gun safe options or styles - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > gun safe options or styles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
Super cool...feel better now? Stack-ons are what they are - metal storage cabinets that will stop children and unsophisticated thieves. They're fairly easy to open and if you understand that you won't be disappointed if your guns get stolen.

20 Years ago, I had a sheet metal security gun container because I had no where to put a safe. It was bolted to a floor joist and the wall studs. I reinforced the interior with 7 gage metal plates in strategic places, add some 1/2-inch x 2-inch steel braces on the outside thru bolted to the interior plates, and locked with a Master Padlock "hockey puck" lock with the hidden schackle and the matching security lock surround.

Certainly not equal to a gun safe - but much better than the standard metal cabinet. At that time the upgrades cost me about $60. My guess today - probably $110.

That's not the least expensive security upgrade. The least expensive is a Master Hockey Puck lock with the security plate welded in place on the front gate to my driveway.

The most expensive security upgrade is one that I've worked on for 9 years where class 3 nuclear material is stored. The security upgrade is for a 4700 foot perimeter and cost $247 million dollars.

One of the cheapest security upgrades was for chemical weapons storage sites and consisted of 20 ton concrete blocks in front of the storage bunker doors.

Security upgrade costs are relative to the cost / loss of the asset, and complexity of the security threat.
My most expensive security upgrade is an antisocial Australian Shepherd. She only loves us. The only way to get into this house is to kill the dog. If I ever found out who harmed my dog the prison would be their best friend. I honestly wouldn't care about consequences. That dog is my only true friend.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #72

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 01:47 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV View Post
Until you can get some kind of gun safe, you can remove the bolts from your rifles, and lock them up in a strong box with a good lock on it.
It costs more to own a dog than any residential gun safe. The average care, feeding and vets for a dog is close to 2k a year. I have a secure location and at least twice as much insurance as my guns are worth.

Hell just through the NRA everyone gets $2500 year. Homeowners insurance usually covers $5000 automatically. Then I have added insurance through flood insurance and the guns themselves are insured.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #74

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

It costs more to own a dog than any residential gun safe. The average care, feeding and vets for a dog is close to 2k a year. I have a secure location and at least twice as much insurance as my guns are worth.

Hell just through the NRA everyone gets $2500 year. Homeowners insurance usually covers $5000 automatically. Then I have added insurance through flood insurance and the guns themselves are insured.
I would sell my guns to save my dog.
I would give up a finger before my dog.
I would take someone's soul if the hurt my dog.

Sell, give, or Take, my dog is worth more than any safe.

I am just lucky to have them both, and my wife feels the same way about our dog

image-1164275650.jpg

Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #75

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
My most expensive security upgrade is an antisocial Australian Shepherd. She only loves us. The only way to get into this house is to kill the dog. If I ever found out who harmed my dog the prison would be their best friend. I honestly wouldn't care about consequences. That dog is my only true friend.
Uhhh...huh...well, that's certainly one way to approach the problem. Find your dog dead, guns gone, and....then what? A 40 year vendetta searching for the people that broke in? Somehow, I think a gun safe is less expensive - and a whole lot less stressful.

But, whatever let's you sleep at night.

I understand about dogs. I had a Staffordshire Terrier that showed up at my house on Christmas Eve (obviously kicked out of Santa's sleigh). I spent close to $15,000 on that dog over the 10 years we had him...so, I get dogs.

I'd still suggest a gun safe as a better alternative to securing your guns.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #76

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post

I have two Australian Shepherds. Excellent dogs for sounding the alarm..as for on actual confrontation, I'm afraid they'd lick the intruder to death. But, I could be wrong...we've never had that scenario.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhorn_cortez View Post
Uhhh...huh...well, that's certainly one way to approach the problem. Find your dog dead, guns gone, and....then what? A 40 year vendetta searching for the people that broke in? Somehow, I think a gun safe is less expensive - and a whole lot less stressful.

But, whatever let's you sleep at night.

I understand about dogs. I had a Staffordshire Terrier that showed up at my house on Christmas Eve (obviously kicked out of Santa's sleigh). I spent close to $15,000 on that dog over the 10 years we had him...so, I get dogs.

I'd still suggest a gun safe as a better alternative to securing your guns.
I have adequate precautions. I can't stop a determined thief and neither can you. We have both been all through that. We both own tools that will destroy almost anything. All you can do is take reasonable precautions and get some insurance. I would have the dog whether I owned guns or not. I would love the dog just as much too.

If my guns were stolen after the election and gun prices settle I would replace them all with better guns. You would likely do the same thing.

I have been robbed in the past. It didn't take 40 years to figure it out. I recovered a lot of the stuff. In my wilder days I wasn't a pillar of the community. I know where stolen stuff is likely to turn up at.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #78

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Quote:
How about this idea?
Yes, satajet, that's about what I was talking about, but something smaller, a door about the size of a small to midsize gunsafe.

Quote:
I have adequate precautions. I can't stop a determined thief and neither can you. We have both been all through that. We both own tools that will destroy almost anything. All you can do is take reasonable precautions and get some insurance. I would have the dog whether I owned guns or not. I would love the dog just as much too.

If my guns were stolen after the election and gun prices settle I would replace them all with better guns. You would likely do the same thing.

I have been robbed in the past. It didn't take 40 years to figure it out. I recovered a lot of the stuff. In my wilder days I wasn't a pillar of the community. I know where stolen stuff is likely to turn up at.
Hey man, shhhh, don't get him started, he knows everything......

Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #79
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i will post my thought and opinions on this matter. most any type of cabinet or safe that is locked will probably keep a random thief from taking your prized possessions. a determined thief will be prepared and will get your possessions given the time to do so. your home is no different than your vehicle. you can put a fancy alarm system and any other anti-theft device you want to, but a determined car thief that wants your vehicle, it's gone. that's a fact.

best advice, i can give is to hide or camoflage. they can't steal what they don't know exists or can't find. also use the best locks or safe you can afford and get and keep good insurance. i have a friend that has a hidden room built into his home, and without the blueprints, you would never even know it existed. i have been in his home on many occasions and if i didn't know it was there, i would never have a clue to whats there!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:42 PM   #80

Liked 1001 Times on 662 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Very well said axxe55. +1