Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > gun safe options or styles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Of course I have heard of Frontsight. Hope to train there one day if I can ever afford it. Not being a member nor ever having visited there I was unaware of the pet name for it. I still find it mildly ironic though.

From some of your past posts I suspect that you are being honest in your disregard for rules, whether they are at Disney or in a civilized society.
Well if you ever get to Vegas let me know and I will hook you up with some training at Frontsight..

Old 10-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #42
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7733 Times on 4465 Posts
Likes Given: 9981

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
Well if you ever get to Vegas let me know and I will hook you up with some training at Frontsight..
I just might take you up on that!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #43

Liked 854 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Quote:
The oldest trees are chestnuts, do some walnuts and fruit trees. Also a few Christmas trees (many of which are 50 years old themselves!).
Cool!! To whom do you sell a huge 50 YO Christmas tree? And how did your chestnut trees avoid the blight that pretty much erased them from the landscape around here?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Cool!! To whom do you sell a huge 50 YO Christmas tree? And how did your chestnut trees avoid the blight that pretty much erased them from the landscape around here?
The Christmas trees are not that big as they get cut every 7 or so years and we culture a new tree up from the branches left on the stump. The stump itself is 50 years old. It is similar to coppicing if you know what that is. We call it stump culture, it is a method our family developed over the years and it shortens the turnover time by almost half. We do have some monster trees that people buy, the largest we have sold was 45 feet tall. There are some customers (a couple of homeowners and some businesses) who come every year for 20 to 30 foot tall trees so we keep enough in stock to satisfy those customers.

The chestnut blight did not get out here to CA, at least not like it went through the east coast. Since the chestnut was introduced to the west coast the trees are isolated from one another, so our orchard has never been exposed to the blight due to that isolation.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What kind of Christmas trees? Blue spruce, douglas fir, scotch pine? I sold them every Christmas when i was a kid with a local baseball league. I liked the scotch pine; Dad liked the douglas fir; blue spruce shipped here were usually larger & pricier. Down here they farm the virginia pine, not my favorite.

I do remember the scotch pines were red tagged or green tagged, and it had almost as much to do with trunk straightness as size. They used the lowest branch to grow the next tree. I think it was Washington state they were from; first snow i ever remember seeing came in on top of the trees one year when i was maybe seven.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 10-04-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #46

Doug Fir, White Fir (Silvertip), Sequoia, Scotch Pine, Monterey Pine, Nordmann Fir.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #47

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
Hope you guys expand on this and give some recommendations for home gun safes. I live alone and have a number of guns - long and short - not locked up. I would like to change that. Any suggestions are welcome - just don't propose a bank quality type and valued one....
The world is a different place ...i grew up in the sixties and seventies and i kept them in a wooden rack/case that i built in woodshop (Jr High VoAg) it served as a storage case...the came out when my Dad or Brother wanted to shoot or hunt. A very simple lock just to keep the dust out. Not many of US can afford to take such risks today. i suggest you build a solid well constructed box as you possibly can. Hold the key or combo close to the vest as you can. Its not just kids we have to worry about these days. A very good rule to remember is..."Out of sight,Out of mind... " Satajet.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #48

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I would not recommend a gun case for long term storage...unless you dont mind marring the finish of the gun that is.

I am assuming we are discussing a hard side case...the foam attracts and holds moisture right on the metal surface. BAD news in a long term situation.
I just read this earlier this morning.
I had no idea about that until I took ours out to clean them this afternoon.
would a gun sock help this?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #49

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1028

I just read this earlier this morning.
I had no idea about that until I took ours out to clean them this afternoon.
would a gun sock help this?
I would say no . The best thing i would suggest is a routine cleaning and light coat of magical mystery or 3-1oil...i did this as a lad on older guns and very little blueing . The only rust inhibitor it had was the 3n1 oil...rust was never a factor even in the gun case after years of the kind of care.
SATAJET.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #50

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Tractor Supply has Sentinel safes. They have a 3 pin locking system to prevent a burglar from prying it open in 5 minutes. They are worth the extra money when compared to a stack on. I recently bought a 12 gun Sentinel for $175 out the door. They are not fireproof but they will keep your kids safe and prevent smash and grab thieves from getting your guns.

When you think about it objectively any safe can be broken into in around 30 minutes. I have a concrete saw that will cut a car in half in less than 30 minutes. All you can do is take reasonable precautions. The concrete saw will just eat up a so called unbreakable padlock in less than 5 minutes.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-15-2012 at 11:37 AM.