Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > gun safe options or styles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #21
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7825 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 10072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
Wow...really, i dnt even know what to say to that
I would say "Well sh!t! I thought the digital lock was cool and now I have to replace it!"

The maddening part is that the safe tech lives a mile away from my friends house and was there 20 minutes after I called the company to ask how to open it. He was there for a total of five minutes tops, opened the safe, ran the credit card and probably got back home before the commercial break was over on TV. He charged $350 to a grieving widow for freaking 5 minutes of his time (I won't call it "work").

The one thing I do advise is that you leave behind your combo somewhere where your loved ones can find it just in case. My buddy had a terminal illness but believed he was going to live for another couple of years, then died unexpectedly.

Seriously, I don't have any digital locks for anything. I even suspect the tombler locks on the safes they sell these days. They are really cheap in the materials they use. The dials are aluminum or even pot metal and just feel cheap. The ones I have are bronze and as smooth as glass. They will hold up under a pretty good fire if it came to that. The pot metal and plastic locks will melt down and you will have to cut your safe open if there is even a small fire.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

I would say "Well sh!t! I thought the digital lock was cool and now I have to replace it!"

The maddening part is that the safe tech lives a mile away from my friends house and was there 20 minutes after I called the company to ask how to open it. He was there for a total of five minutes tops, opened the safe, ran the credit card and probably got back home before the commercial break was over on TV. He charged $350 to a grieving widow for freaking 5 minutes of his time (I won't call it "work").

The one thing I do advise is that you leave behind your combo somewhere where your loved ones can find it just in case. My buddy had a terminal illness but believed he was going to live for another couple of years, then died unexpectedly.

Seriously, I don't have any digital locks for anything. I even suspect the tombler locks on the safes they sell these days. They are really cheap in the materials they use. The dials are aluminum or even pot metal and just feel cheap. The ones I have are bronze and as smooth as glass. They will hold up under a pretty good fire if it came to that. The pot metal and plastic locks will melt down and you will have to cut your safe open if there is even a small fire.
The only i got a digi input was for shf situations or situation lmao

Old 09-30-2012, 05:00 AM   #23

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:

Here in Santa Clara County, CA I am required to have an "approved" gun safe in order to purchase and take possession of any gun, period.
I call B.S....

All guns sold at a California gun store MUST come with a lock included. Usually it is a padlock and cable that fits through the action so it cannot be fired.

That is all that Commiefornia requires!

If you choose not to use it then there are other alternatives.

But if you use it, you can store the gun in a paper sack for all they care.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpupp View Post
I call B.S....

All guns sold at a California gun store MUST come with a lock included. Usually it is a padlock and cable that fits through the action so it cannot be fired.

That is all that Commiefornia requires!

If you choose not to use it then there are other alternatives.

But if you use it, you can store the gun in a paper sack for all they care.
No BS, I'll try to dig up the actual chapter and verse in state statutes. An approved gun safe is required before you can take possession of a firearm. If you already own a safe you must sign an affidavit stating so and it must include the manufacturer and model number of the safe you own. No sh!t.

You are absolutely correct in that they have no way of forcing you to use any of the locks/safe/ etc., but it is still a requirement.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #25

Liked 859 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Don't go braggin' on how good the gun laws in your state and how sucky they are her. Its just not polite!
Relax, man. Anytime you want to visit or move here, we will welcome you with open arms. mudpupp called BS on your statement, and your state Comiefornia........

Old 10-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

Relax, man. Anytime you want to visit or move here, we will welcome you with open arms. mudpupp called BS on your statement, and your state Comiefornia........
Born and Raised in Commiefornia, gone for good..

So after re-reading The law, I CALL DOUBLE B.S...

Obviously the OP is mis-informed ..
They require an approved safety device which included safes and cable locks.

Here is the link to all approved devices..
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/files/pdfs/firearms/chart.pdf?

Old 10-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My state's mosquitos are more voluminous than yours!

(shut up AK, yours are frozen half the year)

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #28

Quote:
Born and Raised in Commiefornia, gone for good..

So after re-reading The law, I CALL DOUBLE B.S...

Obviously the OP is mis-informed ..
They require an approved safety device which included safes and cable locks.

Here is the link to all approved devices..
http://oag.ca.gov/sites/oag.ca.gov/files/pdfs/firearms/chart.pdf?
Perhaps I misunderstood the law, probably due to the fact that I have owned a qualified gun safe for a long, long time (predating the law). I do sign an affidavit stating so when I purchase both long guns and handguns, this is in lieu of a locking device it seems. Not trying to BS anybody, just stating my experience.

As far as leaving CA, go ahead and leave if you want to. The more gun owners that leave the state the more power that the anti-gun lobby has here. Personally I choose to stay and fight rather than quit and run.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #29

Quote:

Perhaps I misunderstood the law, probably due to the fact that I have owned a qualified gun safe for a long, long time (predating the law). I do sign an affidavit stating so when I purchase both long guns and handguns, this is in lieu of a locking device it seems. Not trying to BS anybody, just stating my experience.

As far as leaving CA, go ahead and leave if you want to. The more gun owners that leave the state the more power that the anti-gun lobby has here. Personally I choose to stay and fight rather than quit and run.
I didn't leave over gun laws. That was just a bonus.

I found a house near my aging father in Las Vegas that I could pay cash for, so I thought I would spend his twilight years with him, without a house payment or monthly rent.

Bonus #2
Little did I know at the time, the Disneyland for gun owners was right here in lil old southern Nevada.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #30

Quote:
I didn't leave over gun laws. That was just a bonus.

I found a house near my aging father in Las Vegas that I could pay cash for, so I thought I would spend his twilight years with him, without a house payment or monthly rent.

Bonus #2
Little did I know at the time, the Disneyland for gun owners was right here in lil old southern Nevada.
Well, as for me I live on a large piece of semi-rural land in northern CA with no mortgage that is close to my parents, my Dad just passed away last month but mom and my step-mom are both close by. I have friends in Nevada and elsewhere so I can visit what you call "Disneyland for gun owners" (I presume you are using Disney in a satirical sense as they ban firearms in their theme parks).

I figure that leaving the state because of gun oppression is like the draft dodgers during the Vietnam War who left for Canada. Its just giving up the fight by quitting. With ever pro-gun individual that leaves we who are left here have a decreasing voice screaming in the hurricane.