gun safe options or styles - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > gun safe options or styles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
thanks for the replies so far,maybe i didn't describe correctly my intention. one has to have firearms locked up or out of reach if there's children present. so for this situation, would having a hard gun case locked be considered locked or having them in a gun safe be considered locked?
the duration the firearms would be locked for would be only when children are present (say: half a day, every day)
If you are looking to meet a state requirement that says you have to have your gun locked up then yes, a locked gun case would meet that requirement IMO but consult local laws.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Last edited by silverado113; 09-26-2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Fixed incorrect legal guidance :)

Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8810 Times on 5094 Posts
Likes Given: 11482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed-Citizen View Post
would it be considered safe to put a rifle in a gun case with a lock on it? im referring to "keep firearms out of kids reach"
or you have to have it in a safe to be considered "out of kids reach?"
If you are trying to fulfill a legal requirement then you cannot rely on the opinions expressed here. That having been said, you need to tell us more about your situation such as where, specifically, are you located? It makes a difference if you are located in Chicago, New York Cuty, or San Francisco for instance. If not in a highly restrictive city, then state and county should suffice.

Here in Santa Clara County, CA I am required to have an "approved" gun safe in order to purchase and take possession of any gun, period. Those sheet metal Stack-On cabinets do not meet the requirement.

If a child gains access to any gun that you own, you can (but not necessarily will) be held criminally liable for that.

Perhaps this story that was in today's paper may help:

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_21629095/prosecutors-wont-charge-san-jose-police-officer-sons

Old 09-26-2012, 07:50 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have a Liberty brand gun safe sold through Gander Mountain. It takes up a lot of room, should be bolted to the subfloor, required specialized delivery (three BIG guys and a weird hand truck $200), and is very, very secure and fire-resistant for maybe 45 minutes at some temperature or other. I would have been OK with a Stack-On gun cabinet, i bleve. I don't have, want, or harbor kids in my home. I keep the pump shotgun beside my alarm clock and the rest in the safe nearby. I like trigger locks of the padlock persuasion; i have one on a footlocker and a couple on fence gates, very handy.

User locations no longer show by our screennames; legal requirements vary GREATLY by jurisdiction. I would consult the local police or child protective services, as John Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Here in Santa Clara County, CA I am required to have an "approved" gun safe in order to purchase and take possession of any gun, period. Those sheet metal Stack-On cabinets do not meet the requirement.
My sympathies comrade Vikingdad.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 09-26-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
My sympathies comrade Vikingdad.
The requirement is not a problem for me. I have had a safe since before the laws took effect so all I have to do is sign an affidavit stating so when I buy a gun. Personally I am more concerned about having my guns secured against thieves (including those who would be thieves from the government) than anything else really. I keep my guns safe from my kids using education and instilling knowledge, not locks.

If your sympathy is of the broader sense because I live in CA, I appreciate it. I hope that one day things will change here, as the only (and I do mean only) problems I have with my home state are of the political and intrusive government sort.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #15

Liked 1104 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Here in CA we are required to have an approved gun safe capable of housing the gun we are purchasing. Those Stack-On or Homack sheet-metal gun lock boxes do not fulfill the requirement.
I was going to say that I could have sworn the Stack-on cabinet I just bought said "CA DOJ approved". But I saw you mentioned Santa Clara County specifically later on. Each county can adjust the rules? Here in NH there are no such rules. You go to the gun shop, and buy a gun, as long as you're not a felon. Done. End of story.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:25 AM   #16

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colby
Hope you guys expand on this and give some recommendations for home gun safes. I live alone and have a number of guns - long and short - not locked up. I would like to change that. Any suggestions are welcome - just don't propose a bank quality type and valued one....
I have a sentry 14 gun safe i got for $350 or so. I wanted the fireproofed one just cause it has thr shelf. But im gunma build soe shelfs and instal a rope light. Iys a good safe i love the digital

forumrunner_20120929_202503.jpg

input and a back up key entry

Old 09-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I was going to say that I could have sworn the Stack-on cabinet I just bought said "CA DOJ approved". But I saw you mentioned Santa Clara County specifically later on. Each county can adjust the rules? Here in NH there are no such rules. You go to the gun shop, and buy a gun, as long as you're not a felon. Done. End of story.
Don't go braggin' on how good the gun laws in your state and how sucky they are her. Its just not polite!

You might very well be right, Stack On may make an "approved" safe these days, my information is quite stale as I have always had a qualified safe. If it says CA DOJ Approved it probably is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I have a sentry 14 gun safe i got for $350 or so. I wanted the fireproofed one just cause it has thr shelf. But im gunma build soe shelfs and instal a rope light. Iys a good safe i love the digital input and a back up key entry
Don't know if I mentioned it in this thread yet but a friend of mine passed away earlier this year and I helped his wife get his safe opened. It was one of those digital keypad locks, we called the company, they sent a tech over to open it and he had it open in literally 5 seconds or less using an app on his Smart Phone.

Charged $350 for the service.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #18

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Don't go braggin' on how good the gun laws in your state and how sucky they are her. Its just not polite!

You might very well be right, Stack On may make an "approved" safe these days, my information is quite stale as I have always had a qualified safe. If it says CA DOJ Approved it probably is.

Don't know if I mentioned it in this thread yet but a friend of mine passed away earlier this year and I helped his wife get his safe opened. It was one of those digital keypad locks, we called the company, they sent a tech over to open it and he had it open in literally 5 seconds or less using an app on his Smart Phone.

Charged $350 for the service.
Wow...really, i dnt even know what to say to that

Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #19

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When i get my big boy safe i only want a spin dial combination lock. They are time tested and no electronics involved with the locking mechanism. I dont want the person trying to break into my safe to have a app on his phone that makes it a 5sec job to get it open. Just like my truck way to many electronics involved.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #20

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I've got a 13 gun stack on with the combi. Wish I would have gotten a larger one, but it's working for what I need. It's a good safe.