Gun Safe or FEMA Retreat? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Gun Safe or FEMA Retreat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 02:15 AM   #11
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 747 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 1684

My boys bud said, he can look into them better if someone is really interested in one. But just commenting from a quick look - they look pretty good. He said "storm shelters" to get certification, go through very rigorous testing and he has seen some homemade ones where debris has penetrated through the sides. He says it sounds crazy, but it can and has happened. He said, something is better than nothing though... usually, anyway.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:07 AM   #12
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1465 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
My boys bud said, he can look into them better if someone is really interested in one. But just commenting from a quick look - they look pretty good. He said "storm shelters" to get certification, go through very rigorous testing and he has seen some homemade ones where debris has penetrated through the sides. He says it sounds crazy, but it can and has happened. He said, something is better than nothing though... usually, anyway.
Deg, thanks for looking into it. I'll let you know if anyone I know is going to shell out cash for one. Since they look good and affordable I'm assuming there will be some interest.

Axxe, of course your right about the fire rating. It's usually between 800-1500 degrees for 30 minutes to two hours. Knowing how well it can handle fire is a way to determine where it should be placed. For the sake of fire, being placed on an outside wall, or in a basement with cement on two or three sides can help protect it from long-term excessive heat. Also, if you can contact the fire captain, it's sometimes possible to direct water onto a certain spot if the fire company knows of the safe's existence. Anything to lessen time or temperature means your goodies will survive the inferno better!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
Axxe55 Likes This