Gun Safe or FEMA Retreat?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Gun Safe or FEMA Retreat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Default Gun Safe or FEMA Retreat?

I found Vault Pro USA mentioned in a magazine and was amazed that their products, which could be either a huge gun vault or a small FEMA shelter, is using a modular construction that could be added to an existing structure, be standalone, and could be conceivably expanded in the future, unlike standard safes. The cost is the same as a large safe, but it seems to offer much more.

Has anyone either bought this product, or witnessed it in person? What is the quality, fit and finish like? Really curious if it's as strong as it looks and as easy to assemble as they say.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 04-26-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-26-2014, 03:30 AM   #2

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

Looks interesting... Wonder if one could custom order the size to fill and existing room?

Old 04-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #3

What a great idea. With this design, you don't have to leave your vault behind when you sell your home.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Looks interesting... Wonder if one could custom order the size to fill and existing room?
Tack, they say it fits existing rooms, so my assumption is yes. That is one reason I was hoping someone had experience with it.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack View Post
What a great idea. With this design, you don't have to leave your vault behind when you sell your home.
As well as the fact that you don't have to hire longshoremen to move it! If it breaks down into modular pieces, two guys and a pickup should be able to move it in pieces and re-assemble it. There are all sorts of ways this is better than a safe and worth the extra cost, IF it's as good as they say.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 PM   #6

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1482

To me, the main reason for a gun safe/vault is to prevent loss from theft and fire damage so heat resistance would be a major consideration.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:26 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 636 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Don't know anything about these, but they look really nice.

the pro shelter looks like the ultimate Man cave.

good post!

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 370 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Interesting, my son’s best bud manufactures safe rooms – I will have to ask him his opinion on these and see what he has to say

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-28-2014, 12:52 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1614 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 567

For over $5,000 you would be well into an underground shelter. Your family might be better served by a row of gun cases in a walk in closet. You all would be protected from storm debris with just a quilt.

I have a closet with 2 safes and a locker in it. It is such a natural storm shelter the dog goes in the closet during a thunderstorm.

If you were building a house the storm shelter would be great. You could build a room with adequate bracing to ride out a tornado in a tin can.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-28-2014, 01:01 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
To me, the main reason for a gun safe/vault is to prevent loss from theft and fire damage so heat resistance would be a major consideration.
very true. what a lot of people don't realize is that even a so-called fireproof safe is anything but fireproof in a total loss fire of a house or building most cases. most are only rated for so many degress at a certain amount of time. in a total loss fire, everything in the safe is going to be toast.

most safes are good for saving their contents if the fire dept. shows up in the early stages of the fire. but if they show up and it's fully involved, or they show up after it's been going for while, they many times don't really try and save the structure, but try and prevent it from spreading to nearby structures and keep it contained and let it die down, before putting it out.

just something to consider, and to think about.