Gun Room Project

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Gun Room Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default Gun Room Project

Not sure if this should be here or in DIY. Please move if necessary.

In looking at gun safes in the black Friday ads, I keep thinking that I really need to get the guns, ammo and other gun accessories organized. I have guns, ammo and other hunting gear spread all over the house. I have a 10 gun cabinet that was outgrown when I bought it. I need a gun safe but don't want to spend huge money on a safe that will already be too small.

So the idea of a gun room came to mind. I have a storage room in my basement that is 6'x22'. It came to mind to take a piece of the room and build a gun room. I'm thinking about using a 6' length of the room and building a wall to section it off. I will put in a raised floor just incase of water. I plan on a door that opens out and a lot of shelfs.

Beyond that I'm not sure. I would like to line it with something to make it fireproof or at least resistant. I was thinking cement board or will I be wasting my money? My basement is heated and air conditioned, so is a dehumidifier going to be necessary? Anybody done a project like this and can point me in the right direction?

I have good carpentry skills but not the great level. I would like to keep the cost reasonable but don't want to skimp on something that would greatly improve the design.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #2

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If I'm not mistaken. Trez just built a gun room. I would send him a pm.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1151 Times on 751 Posts
Likes Given: 690

if your like me. your going to want more than 6 feet. especially if you are putting hunting gear in.. my man cave is 11'x12' and i have gear and crap all over that just cant fit into my gun corner.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Got the room started today. Put in the raised floor and layed down a laminate on it. Built a wall but haven't sheeted it yet. Built my own door out of 2 2x12s and a 2x8. I'm thinking that I might be able to put a small reloading table in the space but that will mean making an efficient use of space with shelving. Might be able to get it finished tomorrow an the I need to see about making some verticle gun racks.

My hunting gear goes in the garage storage area. I've got a 6' closet bar and skelf to hold jackets, bibs, boots. That type of hunting gear won't be going in the new gun room. Calls, knives, handwarmers etc. will go in.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I'll be heading down this road in the near future as well. I have a closet that is currently just a catch all for junk. It is about 5'x10' and I plan to make it into a walk in gun closet. I know it will not protect from fire or a thief who is intent on stealing my stuff, but it will keep the kids out (after I put on a lock). I am tossing around ideas of making the door hidden or a false book shelf just to help keep it as discrete as possible. Post up some pics when you're done.

''I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
J.B. Books

Old 12-24-2012, 01:44 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I took some pictures of the nearly finished room. I still have one more shelf that I might add but it is feeling a little cramped. I'm going to need to add another run of gun racks where the ammo cans are now.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:53 AM   #7

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts

That's cool. From the pictures it looks like its in a basement? Do you keep a de-humidifier in the room?

Old 12-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Don't need to. The basement is heated/air conditioned as it is a finished basement. I did put the floor up on a 2x4 base with a plywood sub covered by the floating floor. That was just incase we ever get water in the basement.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Nice. Have been thinking about somthing like that for my loading bench and cleaning supplies and stuff. The only problem is my basment is a little over full, with my In-Laws living in it.