gun cases
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > gun cases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 7 Posts

Default gun cases

I have a couple plastic shelled gun cases with foam in them that i store my rifles in and iv read that tge foam on the inside can cause rust. I already coat my guns in a thin layer of oil before longtime storage but i was wondering if there was any other ways to protect them as far as rust? I was thinkin maybe kitty litter underneath the foam?any feedback is appreciated

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #2

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageman97
I have a couple plastic shelled gun cases with foam in them that i store my rifles in and iv read that tge foam on the inside can cause rust. I already coat my guns in a thin layer of oil before longtime storage but i was wondering if there was any other ways to protect them as far as rust? I was thinkin maybe kitty litter underneath the foam?any feedback is appreciated
Maybe throw some of those salt looking packets you get in packages. Supposed to absorb moisture

Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I keep those silica gel packs that come with all kinds of stuff and toss them in with my stored guns. Those little packets come in very handy.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 12-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #4

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
I keep those silica gel packs that come with all kinds of stuff and toss them in with my stored guns. Those little packets come in very handy.
Yes thats what im talkin bout

Old 12-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i wouldn't store any firearm in a gun case. cases are for protection during transportation only, not storage.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:48 AM   #6

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
The ones that come in the beef jerky package? I used to eat those until I took the time to read what they said.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #7

Liked 1557 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 357

It is better that the guns be exposed to the air (preferably dry air) then to be confined in an "air tight" bag. You don't want to be trapping moisture next to your guns.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #8

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I keep my guns in these soft cloth cases, like the one pictured. I always keep a thin coat of oil on them before I put them away. Never had rust on any of my guns.

fyvmtp8a.jpeg  

-Matt

Old 12-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i wouldn't store any firearm in a gun case. cases are for protection during transportation only, not storage.
Where do you recommend we store them then? I am not sure about the OP but I can't afford a safe and I would rather have it in a case then just laying on the floor.

To the OP, yes the cases with the foam in them are not good to store your guns in, same with the older vinyl cases. These types of cases trap moisture and can lead to rust. The best cases to store firearms over a long period of time are the soft fabric or canvas because these cases will breathe.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklarimore View Post
Where do you recommend we store them then? I am not sure about the OP but I can't afford a safe and I would rather have it in a case then just laying on the floor.

To the OP, yes the cases with the foam in them are not good to store your guns in, same with the older vinyl cases. These types of cases trap moisture and can lead to rust. The best cases to store firearms over a long period of time are the soft fabric or canvas because these cases will breathe.
how about a gun rack? i built mine, but they can be purchased at many places. and i don't own a safe either.

think they won't develop rust in those soft fabric gun cases? think again! they will if kept there long enough. i had to clean quite a few that had some serious rust on them that were stored in soft fabric cases.

do what you want, they are your guns not mine. so much easier to pull it off a rack, lightly oil it and put it back.