Got a nanovault 300 for my car.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Got a nanovault 300 for my car.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default Got a nanovault 300 for my car.

I picked up a nanovault 300 over the weekend to make my use of the MS car carry more safe and secure by allowing me to secure my firearm when i go into a store or restaurant. In MS, you are legal to have a firearm in your car, concealed in part or in whole, without a permit.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=GunVault-Nano-Vault-300-with-Combination-Lock&i=430506&merchID=1006&r=view&from=grid

I actually picked up three, one for my nephew, one for his new bride, and one for me, ya know for testing purposes.

This thing may not be impenetrable or attached to the car's engine by anchor chain from the Titanic, but it does have a hefty cable for attaching to a secure seat base or similarly difficult to remove car part. It also does not look like a pistol or anything valuable. If flipped over under the seat, the texturized black exterior looks like a number of standard automotive finishes, maybe like a seat motor or something. It is not big; it will hold an XD45 with the 5" barrel and one spare magazine. My nephew has a 4" .357 revolver; his little wife put a Ruger 9mm in hers. There was not much room for spare magazines plural, but one or a speedloader would fit.

I like the product very much so far. My only complaint would be the relatively "cheap" feel of the combination wheels and "unlock" knob.

Anybody with a BIG set of bolt cutters and some time could get this thing out of the car and open it later with a crowbar and hammer, but it narrows the risk down to a smaller group of more prepared thieves.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #2

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

I like it...

Think ZG was looking for something like this.

Tack

Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
This thing may not be impenetrable or attached to the car's engine by anchor chain from the Titanic, but it does have a hefty cable for attaching to a secure seat base or similarly difficult to remove car part. It also does not look like a pistol or anything valuable. If flipped over under the seat, the texturized black exterior looks like a number of standard automotive finishes, maybe like a seat motor or something. It is not big; it will hold an XD45 with the 5" barrel and one spare magazine. My nephew has a 4" .357 revolver; his little wife put a Ruger 9mm in hers. There was not much room for spare magazines plural, but one or a speedloader would fit.

I like the product very much so far. My only complaint would be the relatively "cheap" feel of the combination wheels and "unlock" knob.

Anybody with a BIG set of bolt cutters and some time could get this thing out of the car and open it later with a crowbar and hammer, but it narrows the risk down to a smaller group of more prepared thieves.
Orangello, Just don't get a false sense of security with that lockbox. I don't like leaving unsecured guns anywhere and even with the minimal security these type boxes provide, I feel is better than nothing.

I did find this the other day and when I asked if he tried to cut the cable he said he didn't have the cable so he wasn't sure. Also said he thought his screwdriver method was probably quicker. Maybe his was a defect, but there's not much of a weld on his latch. I thought the outer shell would bend very easily when pried, but looks like the latch failed before the shell deflected. Out of curiousity, I looked around the garage and the cable on my garage doors seem to be about the same size without the vinyl coating. I was able to cut it with a standard pair of channellock dykes. In all fairness it did take both hands to have enough power to squeeze through.

I still think they are better than nothing since you never know on a smash and grab. If he has no tools you are probably good to go. If he has a small screwdriver of a pair of dykes, all bets off.
gv200-failed-latch-screwdriver.jpg  

Glenn
FAS1SAFE

Old 11-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Honestly, the biggest impression it has made on me is the "camoflage" aspect of the little case; it is much less "gun-like" than just my XD45 in a cheapo holster with a spare mag.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

FAS1 Likes This 
Old 11-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've had one for years. It is a much better choice than stuffing the gun under the seat or leaving it in the glove box. Useless if you don't retrieve the weapon when returning to the vehicle..