Decent handgun safe?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Decent handgun safe?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Decent handgun safe?

Hey guys looking to get a decent handgun safe that I can fit 2 pistols and some paperwork in, I would prefer fireproof. I've read mixed reviews about biometric so I'm leaning away from them. Any suggestions? Good brands? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

https://www.ftknox.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Well I recently purchase a Barska AX11646 Multi-Access Biometric Keypad Safe delivered for $165. Its roughly 12"x15"x12" and has a finger print sensor, a keypad and a backup key to open. It stores around 30 prints, so you do multiple inserts of various fingers on both hands to be safe. I have yet have it not open when I wanted it to, but it won't open with fingers I have not trained it to. While it is not a high security safe, it serves my purpose quite well. You can bolt it down if you want, but my wife would not be too happy with that. I bolted it to a 2x4 that runs behind my dresser so no one is going to easily pick it up and carry it out.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes0486 View Post
Hey guys looking to get a decent handgun safe that I can fit 2 pistols and some paperwork in, I would prefer fireproof. I've read mixed reviews about biometric so I'm leaning away from them. Any suggestions? Good brands? Thanks
Have you thought about just going down to Wally World and buying a Sentry fire safe? The come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Other than that, you may have a hard time finding a fireproof safe in pistol sizes.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I got one of those Barska Biometric safes from Amazon.com - mainly to give the women-folk in my home some 'peace-of-mind'. It failed to open for me after just 11 months, then Barska tried to give me the run-around, but eventually I got it replaced. I can't really recommend any Barska product after this, but the new safe still works.

For 2 of my favorite long guns I converted a 1930's keyed cedar chest with some cradles to hold my 30-30 and tactical 12-gauge. Unfortunately my JC Higgins Model 20 12-ga. w/ 28" barrel won't fit. Whatta ya gonna do . . . Progress not Perfection

Old 04-30-2013, 12:34 AM   #6

Not fire proof but does what I need it to do for $96.00 from Walmart.

Fits between the studs in the wall.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2714 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 1531

I'm just laying down a marker in this thread, so that it's easy to find later, when there is a good bit of content to consider.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #8

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I purchased a sentry and it works well for me for now. I purchased it for my wifes sake..and because I have a young daughter. It is not exactly what I want and honestly I cannot find one that I like yet. A key feels clumsy in am emergency, number code safes are too noisy for hd situations, and biometric is a little expensive for me right now....I will be interested in the experience gained in this thread as well.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-03-2013, 02:50 AM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
I'm just laying down a marker in this thread, so that it's easy to find later, when there is a good bit of content to consider.
I'm possibly purchasing one shortly and if it turns into too much of a circus I'll post frequently!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #10
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

I will refer you back to these two threads to get you started. They both are recent.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/guns-kids-80416/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/looking-biometric-pistol-safe-any-suggestions-25265/

If you have kids/teens, I personally have major issues with the cheap stuff you can buy anywhere that gives you quick access. Unfortunately, that's really all that's out there. There's a couple of videos I posted in the Guns and Kids thread to take the time to consider. Educating your kids is ultimately the best safe available in your home.

The Ft. Knox Pistol Safes seem to get the most thumbs up from checking around.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

towboater Likes This