climate control necessary for gun storage - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > climate control necessary for gun storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Does it matter what size the Goldenrod Dehumidifier Rod is? I see they make many different lengths.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #22

Liked 385 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raminator157 View Post
Does it matter what size the Goldenrod Dehumidifier Rod is? I see they make many different lengths.
I think they are rated to dehumidify a certain amount of square footage based on size. Don't quote me on that because I've never used one. Or...it could be based on cubic feet since it's dealing with air volume.

Sent from my HTC One X using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 PM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I use a 25 watt incandescent light bulb in my safe. No problems.
I do have an SKS rifle stored in a blanket lined case. It has been there for several years without problems. I live in WA state where the humidity is fairly high and the temperature varies widely...

To err is Human, to forgive Divine
Neither is Marine Corps policy.

Life Member NRA

Old 02-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not to hijack someones thread. But I live in Vermont and my gun cabinet is in my basement that has a dehumidifier plugged in the room during the warm months and nothing during the winter. Its probably 65 degrees in the basement or a little cooler during the winter. After talking with a friend. He said I shouldnt need a dehumidifier in my safe. Thoughts? I tend to agree with him.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:10 AM   #25

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohoskip View Post
I use a 25 watt incandescent light bulb in my safe. No problems.
How warm does it get in that safe.......

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1520 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
well, my concern was whether or not to keep a gun safe in an area that doesn't get any heat or ac and does experience wide changes in temperature when the weather decides to do so.

I can certainly accommodate the need for dehumidifying, but it sounds like as long as that is addressed then the climate control isn't necessary as long as the guns are cleaned and oiled regularly, and the humidity and condensation in the safe are addressed appropriately (with a golden rod, or desiccant ) so there is no accumulation of moisture on anything inside.
You can safely store guns in an area without climate control. But you have to either smear the guns with a grease like cosmoline or clean the guns at least a couple times a year.

I left many of my guns in my brothers safe for well over 10 years in a climate controlled environment. They were never cleaned or oiled during this time. A Marlin 60 is the only gun that had any rust on it when I retrieved the guns. I hauled the Marlin 60 around in the trunk of my car. It was probably rusted before I put it away.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-24-2014 at 05:56 PM.