Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > climate control necessary for gun storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
If you were into antique guns and looked at guns all the time that were one or two hundred years old you would realize that guns do not need any special care.

REALLY depends on where your located.

To show how different two places are. ABout 20 years ago I build my brother a huge butcher block type dinning room table made from 1.25"W x 2.5"T Kiln dried Pine. The table was glued together with Titebond II wood glue and had 1/2"D steel rods passing through the pieces every 12" and then clamped with nuts on the ends of the steel rods.

This thing was as solid as any piece of wood could be.

For 10 years it sat in his dinning room with narry a care in the world.

Then one day he moved to SE AZ and moved the table there. The results in less then two weeks due to the huge change in relative humidity a giant crack opened up in the table completely shattering three pieces of wood lengthwise causing almost a 3/4" wide gap to appear in the table. My brother said when it first popped it sounded like a gun shot (he should know he owns a gun shop)

SO to say that a firearm doesn't need special care to ward off wood shrinkage or rust on the metal is a completely inaccurate statement.

The amount of moisture in my house in Silverton Oregon I would guess it WAY different then the moisture in your house in AZ. Or someone else's house in Louisiana. Or West Virginia.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #12

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

no gun will rust if it has a light coat of oil. And I spent a large part of my life in MN where there are huge temperature swings and it is humid even in the winter.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1459 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I have a 10' square vault and I keep a dehumidifier set at 35% and also a oil circulating heater that looks kinda like a old steam radiator set to hold the temp. at 70 degrees. When I used a safe I have a piano dehumidifer in it. It was bout the same as a Golden Rod. As someone else mentioned if the temperature is pretty steady you might be alright but if there is a big temperature swing you can have condensation form which isn't good. I'm not willing to take that chance with my investments.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 12-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #14

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I think as long as the temperature is constant and the humidity is low (30%ish) it's all good.

Large fluctuations in temp cause condensation=water=rust.

I have my safe away from outside walls and low to no light gets to it. Never needed a de-humidifier, never had any problems...
Same here in Idaho and when I was in Phoenix. My safe is indoors and at room temp all year. Humidity is low so I also haven't bothered with a dehumidifier.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #15

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Same here in Idaho and when I was in Phoenix. My safe is indoors and at room temp all year. Humidity is low so I also haven't bothered with a dehumidifier.
I carefully considered the location before I bought the safe as it gets very humid here in NC...

Only had 3 places to put it where it was away from outside walls and sunlight, and one of those places was full of ammo...oops...

I'm a miser with the thermostat too, so while the temperature in my house does fluctuate, it does so very slowly...

I've also made a point to keep the door shut and locked unless I absolutely need to get in there, gotta figure this helps maintain a constant temp as well...

The only thing I've done to prevent moisture is toss a couple of dessicant packs in there...the kind that come with new shoes or clothes but as Hiwall said, a good coat of oil is better than anything...

Good steel/finish is pretty tough. I inherited a shotgun that sat on a wall rack in an unheated garage for 15 years in Southern VA...and all the temperature variations that come with it. While it did have a significant amount of rust on the bbl, it cleaned right up with some 4naught steel wool and some Hoppe's #9

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan
well, my concern was whether or not to keep a gun safe in an area that doesn't get any heat or ac and does experience wide changes in temperature when the weather decides to do so. I can certainly accommodate the need for dehumidifying, but it sounds like as long as that is addressed then the climate control isn't necessary as long as the guns are cleaned and oiled regularly, and the humidity and condensation in the safe are addressed appropriately (with a golden rod, or desiccant ) so there is no accumulation of moisture on anything inside.
If you use FrogLube on your guns it is an xtra step to taking great care of your guns. This keeps them clean an lubricated. And every time you shoot, when the barrel heats up it releases the FrogLube out if the pours of the metal. Me very gun owner should use this product. It's a must for me. Love you guns and protect them and they will love and protect you!!!

Old 12-25-2013, 10:58 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19825 Times on 11258 Posts
Likes Given: 49979

humidity is more a concern than actual temperature. warm and dry is good and so is cool and dry. huge temperature changes can cause guns to sweat and form moisture. a dessicant system is something i consider a must if the environment or climate is humid.

if this is a concern, then regular inspections of the guns should be done. along with regular cleaning and oiling of them, even if they are not used. regualr inspections will catch a rust issue before it becomes a problem and does permanent damage to the guns.

Last edited by Axxe55; 12-25-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1381 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 474

If you are in a high humidity area you can use drywall as a desiccant. Bake the drywall at 200 degrees for twenty minutes. Drywall really does great as dunnage in ammo storage areas. If you are the type that runs the central heat/air all the time you won't have any issues with your guns.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #19

Liked 55 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

unless you live in a vacuum there is suspended moisture in the air, that moisture condenses when it gets cold enough (known as the "dew point").

you need to either keep the air warm enough to keep the moisture from condensing on the gun steel or use a system that will extract the water from the air.

most safe "dehumidifiers" are really just heating elements that keep the safe above the temp of condensation.
Dehumidifying chemicals are usually very corrosive and I would not want them near my guns.

My safe is in a room that is well insulated but not heated everyday. When I am in the room I run the heater and leave the safe door open to help get the air circulating and get the inside of the safe warm. I also have a safe heater in the bottom of the safe that runs 24/7.

I live in Seattle, we are basically underwater for 9 months of the year, none of my guns have ever shown any rust while in my safe....that is my two cents....

Old 02-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1381 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
a smart ass friend told me if my guns cant withstand freezing temps or the changes in temperature that they aren't worth keeping. Considering you can be expected to use them or hunt in widely varying climates I'd tend to agree.

is it absolutely necessary to keep guns or your gun safe in an area with heat and ac, and dehumidifier or is this irrelevant?
Metal will rust faster in an area that is not climate controlled. A couple days in the field will not cause a gun to rust. In fact, using a gun is the easiest way to get rust off the gun. For long term storage climate control eliminates a lot of maintenance. I have left guns with relatives that know nothing about maintaining a firearm for years at a time. Their well sealed, climate controlled home prevented my guns from rusting.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato