Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > climate control necessary for gun storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Default climate control necessary for gun storage

a smart ass friend told me if my guns cant withstand freezing temps or the changes in temperature that they aren't worth keeping. Considering you can be expected to use them or hunt in widely varying climates I'd tend to agree.

is it absolutely necessary to keep guns or your gun safe in an area with heat and ac, and dehumidifier or is this irrelevant?

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

Liked 1117 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

I keep a dehumidifier rod in my safe, it cost me $29 . Never had a issue with rust or anything . My buddy has a AK that used to sit in his closet and its a bit of surface rust all over it . Humidity is the worst for them and living where I do we have some humid days in the summer

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 12-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

Liked 353 Times on 203 Posts

I keep one of those "dry buckets" in my safe. It's a small one gallon bucket with dessicant crystals in it. When the bottom fills with water (every 3-4 months) I change it. Relatively cheap and they seem to do a great job! No rust on any of my guns and only one of them is stainless steel.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #4

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

I think as long as the temperature is constant and the humidity is low (30%ish) it's all good.

Large fluctuations in temp cause condensation=water=rust.

I have my safe away from outside walls and low to no light gets to it. Never needed a de-humidifier, never had any problems...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 12-09-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2520 Times on 1476 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

As long as you have a dehumidification system and your guns do not experience wild swings in temps over very short time periods, you guns will be just fine.

I use the Remington rechargeable silica gel dehumidifiers in my gun cabinet. These are available from Cabela's, Sportsman's Guide, etc.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

I have a dehumidfier rod in the safe (which is in a room that has an additional dehumidfier itself).

I have had a problem with mold in the humid area where I live.

It is better to prevent mold than to deal with it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #7

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

If you were into antique guns and looked at guns all the time that were one or two hundred years old you would realize that guns do not need any special care.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #8

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Taking care of it while it's being stored doesn't mean it can't take some abuse, or even a LOT of abuse. It simply means you want it to last.

I don't know of anything at all that's man made and can survive the harshest conditions for any extended period of time without showing some sign of wear or damage.

Take care of your guns, and they'll take care of you.

My car is capable of going around 120. That don't mean I drive that fast.

Same with guns. Just because it CAN take a lickin, doesn't mean you shouldn't do everything you feasibly can to take care of it. Mine isn't a pampered safe queen either, it just gets scrubbed down occasionally.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #9

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 213

well, my concern was whether or not to keep a gun safe in an area that doesn't get any heat or ac and does experience wide changes in temperature when the weather decides to do so.

I can certainly accommodate the need for dehumidifying, but it sounds like as long as that is addressed then the climate control isn't necessary as long as the guns are cleaned and oiled regularly, and the humidity and condensation in the safe are addressed appropriately (with a golden rod, or desiccant ) so there is no accumulation of moisture on anything inside.

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

rachilders Likes This 
Old 12-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #10

Liked 353 Times on 203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
well, my concern was whether or not to keep a gun safe in an area that doesn't get any heat or ac and does experience wide changes in temperature when the weather decides to do so.

I can certainly accommodate the need for dehumidifying, but it sounds like as long as that is addressed then the climate control isn't necessary as long as the guns are cleaned and oiled regularly, and the humidity and condensation in the safe are addressed appropriately (with a golden rod, or desiccant ) so there is no accumulation of moisture on anything inside.
I've thought about this too. I think if I had a safe room in my basement (assuming I had enough guns some day to justify it) I would probably install either a bathroom fan hooked to a humidistat, or just heat the room in winter and run a dehumidifier. Temperature fluctuations don't matter a tremendous amount as long as the humidity can be controlled and they are not changing rapidly day to day. If the room was adjacent to a heated finished basement, but the room was unfinished, I would finish the room and make sure there was air flow so it becomes part of the conditioned space. Again, this all depends on climate and the relative humidity in the store room. Air flow is your best friend. I'm a weatherization tech for a living so if you have any questions about products or installation let me know. I'm building science and advanced air sealing certified.

Last edited by FernandoTheCommando; 12-09-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Mack Bolan Likes This