Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/)
-   -   climate control necessary for gun storage (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/climate-control-necessary-gun-storage-101355/)

Mack Bolan 12-09-2013 04:15 PM

climate control necessary for gun storage

a smart ass friend told me if my guns cant withstand freezing temps or the changes in temperature that they aren't worth keeping. Considering you can be expected to use them or hunt in widely varying climates I'd tend to agree.

is it absolutely necessary to keep guns or your gun safe in an area with heat and ac, and dehumidifier or is this irrelevant?

purehavoc 12-09-2013 04:24 PM

I keep a dehumidifier rod in my safe, it cost me $29 . Never had a issue with rust or anything . My buddy has a AK that used to sit in his closet and its a bit of surface rust all over it . Humidity is the worst for them and living where I do we have some humid days in the summer

FernandoTheCommando 12-09-2013 04:36 PM

I keep one of those "dry buckets" in my safe. It's a small one gallon bucket with dessicant crystals in it. When the bottom fills with water (every 3-4 months) I change it. Relatively cheap and they seem to do a great job! No rust on any of my guns and only one of them is stainless steel.

vincent 12-09-2013 04:37 PM

I think as long as the temperature is constant and the humidity is low (30%ish) it's all good.

Large fluctuations in temp cause condensation=water=rust.

I have my safe away from outside walls and low to no light gets to it. Never needed a de-humidifier, never had any problems...:cool:

eatmydust 12-09-2013 04:42 PM

As long as you have a dehumidification system and your guns do not experience wild swings in temps over very short time periods, you guns will be just fine.

I use the Remington rechargeable silica gel dehumidifiers in my gun cabinet. These are available from Cabela's, Sportsman's Guide, etc.

danf_fl 12-09-2013 05:06 PM

I have a dehumidfier rod in the safe (which is in a room that has an additional dehumidfier itself).

I have had a problem with mold in the humid area where I live.

It is better to prevent mold than to deal with it.

hiwall 12-09-2013 05:28 PM

If you were into antique guns and looked at guns all the time that were one or two hundred years old you would realize that guns do not need any special care.

trip286 12-09-2013 05:55 PM

Taking care of it while it's being stored doesn't mean it can't take some abuse, or even a LOT of abuse. It simply means you want it to last.

I don't know of anything at all that's man made and can survive the harshest conditions for any extended period of time without showing some sign of wear or damage.

Take care of your guns, and they'll take care of you.

My car is capable of going around 120. That don't mean I drive that fast.

Same with guns. Just because it CAN take a lickin, doesn't mean you shouldn't do everything you feasibly can to take care of it. Mine isn't a pampered safe queen either, it just gets scrubbed down occasionally.

Mack Bolan 12-09-2013 07:20 PM

well, my concern was whether or not to keep a gun safe in an area that doesn't get any heat or ac and does experience wide changes in temperature when the weather decides to do so.

I can certainly accommodate the need for dehumidifying, but it sounds like as long as that is addressed then the climate control isn't necessary as long as the guns are cleaned and oiled regularly, and the humidity and condensation in the safe are addressed appropriately (with a golden rod, or desiccant ) so there is no accumulation of moisture on anything inside.

FernandoTheCommando 12-09-2013 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack Bolan (Post 1453712)
well, my concern was whether or not to keep a gun safe in an area that doesn't get any heat or ac and does experience wide changes in temperature when the weather decides to do so.

I can certainly accommodate the need for dehumidifying, but it sounds like as long as that is addressed then the climate control isn't necessary as long as the guns are cleaned and oiled regularly, and the humidity and condensation in the safe are addressed appropriately (with a golden rod, or desiccant ) so there is no accumulation of moisture on anything inside.

I've thought about this too. I think if I had a safe room in my basement (assuming I had enough guns some day to justify it) I would probably install either a bathroom fan hooked to a humidistat, or just heat the room in winter and run a dehumidifier. Temperature fluctuations don't matter a tremendous amount as long as the humidity can be controlled and they are not changing rapidly day to day. If the room was adjacent to a heated finished basement, but the room was unfinished, I would finish the room and make sure there was air flow so it becomes part of the conditioned space. Again, this all depends on climate and the relative humidity in the store room. Air flow is your best friend. I'm a weatherization tech for a living so if you have any questions about products or installation let me know. I'm building science and advanced air sealing certified.