Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Gun Safes > Choosing The Best $2,000 Gun Safe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Choosing The Best $2,000 Gun Safe

After looking at dozens of videos, brochures, and Google safe reviews, I'm still not clear on what safe to buy.

Here are my stats:
Budget is approx. $2000-$3000.
I'll be storing approx. 5 handguns with a total value of
Approx. $8,000. I'll also be storing 3 long guns with a total value of approx. $3,000.

I've studied Amsec, Liberty, Fort Knox, and Rhino.

I recently retired to a very rural area on 6 acres which for now is relatively free of burglaries.....but I'm not naïve to think it "won't happen to me."

Anybody's are really appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Safe technology has not improved in fifty years, and if anything, new safes are harder to pick a good one.

Look for an older safe UL listed for fire, and tool resistance. A locksmith in your area can help you locate one. A good used safe can also save you money.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the great input!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2695 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Default Tread Security Tredlok

I have my safe since 1984! It's been upgraded a bit( dual locking systems) it's a tread floor model it looks like an armored footlocker. Holds 12 long arms and 12 handguns. Also have a smaller used jewelers safe I keep the ammo in...

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-21-2013, 02:44 AM   #5

Liked 264 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 49

My next safe will have an outlet within for an electric "molisture stick", and it will have interior lighting. I also prefer the large crank, and an old fashioned combination. My main safe is not the go-to safe in any emergency, I have a small electonic safe for those occasions ( and hope it never comes to that)

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:06 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would also like pointers. Had a buddy buy the "Costco" special for $799. While a nice safe, it lacked functionality

Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1345 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 454

It is very difficult to beat a liberty safe for the money. The are burglar resistant and have an excellent fire protection system. A friends house burned down with a liberty safe in it. Liberty was there in days to get the safe open and his guns were in good shape. Liberty uses a foam cocoon system in the event of a fire. I don't know if his insurance paid for the safe or liberty replaced the safe but he got a new safe for free. I know Liberty comes to open the safe after a fire for free.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2695 Times on 1850 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
It is very difficult to beat a liberty safe for the money. The are burglar resistant and have an excellent fire protection system. A friends house burned down with a liberty safe in it. Liberty was there in days to get the safe open and his guns were in good shape. Liberty uses a foam cocoon system in the event of a fire. I don't know if his insurance paid for the safe or liberty replaced the safe but he got a new safe for free. I know Liberty comes to open the safe after a fire for free.
Liberty, Cannon, SnapSafe, are all good choices. My friend just got a SnapSafe(I think he paid 1350) but he doesn't have a Very big collection....maybe 10 Guns....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by CludgieVortex View Post
After looking at dozens of videos, brochures, and Google safe reviews, I'm still not clear on what safe to buy.

Here are my stats:
Budget is approx. $2000-$3000.
I'll be storing approx. 5 handguns with a total value of
Approx. $8,000. I'll also be storing 3 long guns with a total value of approx. $3,000.

I've studied Amsec, Liberty, Fort Knox, and Rhino.

I recently retired to a very rural area on 6 acres which for now is relatively free of burglaries.....but I'm not naïve to think it "won't happen to me."

Anybody's are really appreciated.

Here's a site (youtube) that covers every known (and unknown) piece of information regarding safe purchasing from a safe expert. Good video.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Great video! Curt is a guru of safe info!!