Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/)
-   -   Choosing The Best $2,000 Gun Safe (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/choosing-best-2-000-gun-safe-92514/)

CludgieVortex 06-19-2013 05:04 AM

Choosing The Best $2,000 Gun Safe

After looking at dozens of videos, brochures, and Google safe reviews, I'm still not clear on what safe to buy.

Here are my stats:
Budget is approx. $2000-$3000.
I'll be storing approx. 5 handguns with a total value of
Approx. $8,000. I'll also be storing 3 long guns with a total value of approx. $3,000.

I've studied Amsec, Liberty, Fort Knox, and Rhino.

I recently retired to a very rural area on 6 acres which for now is relatively free of burglaries.....but I'm not na´ve to think it "won't happen to me."

Anybody's are really appreciated.

AR10 06-19-2013 05:19 AM

Safe technology has not improved in fifty years, and if anything, new safes are harder to pick a good one.

Look for an older safe UL listed for fire, and tool resistance. A locksmith in your area can help you locate one. A good used safe can also save you money.

CludgieVortex 06-19-2013 05:28 AM

Thanks for the great input!

DrFootball 06-19-2013 06:21 AM

Tread Security Tredlok

I have my safe since 1984! It's been upgraded a bit( dual locking systems) it's a tread floor model it looks like an armored footlocker. Holds 12 long arms and 12 handguns. Also have a smaller used jewelers safe I keep the ammo in...

Missouribound 06-21-2013 02:44 AM

My next safe will have an outlet within for an electric "molisture stick", and it will have interior lighting. I also prefer the large crank, and an old fashioned combination. My main safe is not the go-to safe in any emergency, I have a small electonic safe for those occasions ( and hope it never comes to that)

pseudolus 06-27-2013 04:06 AM

Would also like pointers. Had a buddy buy the "Costco" special for $799. While a nice safe, it lacked functionality

John_Deer 06-27-2013 04:24 AM

It is very difficult to beat a liberty safe for the money. The are burglar resistant and have an excellent fire protection system. A friends house burned down with a liberty safe in it. Liberty was there in days to get the safe open and his guns were in good shape. Liberty uses a foam cocoon system in the event of a fire. I don't know if his insurance paid for the safe or liberty replaced the safe but he got a new safe for free. I know Liberty comes to open the safe after a fire for free.

DrFootball 06-27-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer
It is very difficult to beat a liberty safe for the money. The are burglar resistant and have an excellent fire protection system. A friends house burned down with a liberty safe in it. Liberty was there in days to get the safe open and his guns were in good shape. Liberty uses a foam cocoon system in the event of a fire. I don't know if his insurance paid for the safe or liberty replaced the safe but he got a new safe for free. I know Liberty comes to open the safe after a fire for free.

Liberty, Cannon, SnapSafe, are all good choices. My friend just got a SnapSafe(I think he paid 1350) but he doesn't have a Very big collection....maybe 10 Guns....

PanBaccha 06-27-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CludgieVortex (Post 1280515)
After looking at dozens of videos, brochures, and Google safe reviews, I'm still not clear on what safe to buy.

Here are my stats:
Budget is approx. $2000-$3000.
I'll be storing approx. 5 handguns with a total value of
Approx. $8,000. I'll also be storing 3 long guns with a total value of approx. $3,000.

I've studied Amsec, Liberty, Fort Knox, and Rhino.

I recently retired to a very rural area on 6 acres which for now is relatively free of burglaries.....but I'm not na´ve to think it "won't happen to me."

Anybody's are really appreciated.

Here's a site (youtube) that covers every known (and unknown) piece of information regarding safe purchasing from a safe expert. Good video.

CludgieVortex 06-28-2013 12:29 AM

Great video! Curt is a guru of safe info!!