Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Gun Safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/)
-   -   C.E. safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f171/c-e-safes-84970/)

38special 02-23-2013 07:37 PM

C.E. safes

Not sure if any of y'all live in south Florida but I have been on a hunt for a new safe. I have 2 browning pro steel's gun safes that are full. I have had these safes since the early 90's(give or take).. I have a little one who is just started to stand and soon will be walking. I have to many firearms hidden around the house that I don't have room for so I have been looking for another safe. I have shoped all over from local safe stores to basspro. I didn't want a cheap safe with 12 or 10 gauge steal sides and a composite front door. I originally was looking at a liberty safe but after several attempts at getting one it didn't happen. I was told it would be a 3-4 month wait at best. Some how I happened to find a video and several reviews about a local guy/company here in south east Florida. Me and my wife and daughter went to there showroom. We spent about an hour or two with the owner and learned a lot!!! It seems as if safes are not what they were.... I looked at ft Knox, browning pro steel, rhino, and several others. Needless to say my budget that I wanted to be in was way off for the quality I was expecting. But the end result was worth the money. I will say 90% of the safes they sell are built from the ground up here in the USA. They did have a few made in china and Mexico. I ended up buying one of there safes made for them. 1/2" steel front plate, 7 or 6 gauge side walls( forgot which one) my safe will arrive next week and I will then post pictures. They also have a store on the west coast of Florida. If any of y'all are looking or wondering about a safe the owner of this store is a book of information. Givem a call.. He's not pushy nor did he try selling me on any product. He showed me everything from 600$ to 15,000$. I was gonna install it myself but I didn't realize it was much heavier than all the other safes I was looking at in the same size. As stated prior I'll take pics of the safe and the install as soon as it arrives..

emo 02-23-2013 08:52 PM

Came across a video of him on YouTube not too long ago. Even a short video was educational so I imagine actually speaking to him was even more so. Looking forward to seeing what you got.

38special 02-24-2013 04:29 AM

I think the best part was when he showed me a safe with the back open. The 12 1-1/2 steel bolts that held the door closed where welded to/on a thin piece of metal. Being a mechanic for the government I know that your only as strong as your weakest link. Though the bolts would substain massive abuse the frame that was holding them couldn't hold the hitting of a roofing hammer. Most are naive and think the thick heavy door and the massive bolts/rods holding it are more than enough, but reality is the door is composite filled with concrete and the massive bolts are attached to toothpick pieces of metal. O

emo 02-24-2013 05:18 AM

I get what he says about not buying a cheap safe if you're not cheap on your firearms but you look at the cost of a good safe and think how many more firearms you could buy. You start saving for a good safe and then you come across an interesting firearm and your safe fund shrinks!